Petrol tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol tank

The tank on my RES is de-laminating, can anyone recommend a method of removing it? I did order a tank last October from Roger Ennis but I think he is struggling with health issues.

Once oil has permanated into the fibers it is difficult to effect a satisfactory repair. The only real answer is an alloy replica.

Comment

Thanks John. Unfortunately alloy tanks seem to be less numerous than unicorns !

Comment

Yes you would have to have one made, but that would be expensive.One other option would be to open up the fibre glass tank and make up and fit an alloy inner. that way it retains the original look, you would though use a bit if capacity. OK if you are just parading or showing the bike, but not so good if still racing.

Comment

Local to me near Bournemouth is a guy who makes aluminium tanks for motorcycles - he made one for my Harley and it's a lovely quality piece of work. If we can get 4 or 5 of us interested in having him make some Silverstone tanks, I'll have a word to see what he would charge. One of us will need to give up a glass fiber tank for him to use as a pattern. Please let me know if you are interested anyone.

Comment

There is also a lady club member who makes replacement parts for classic aircraft. Her and her husband have a unit at Bournemouth airport and can make bike tanks in aluminium.

Comment

I would think the flat sided Silverstone tank would be a cinch for an experienced tank maker and a worthwhile investment for an active user. There are two sources above so just needs someone to get the ball rolling.
              As an aside, there is/was a lady welder, Alison, in the industrial park next Southend Airport and her aluminium welding was/is superb. Main thing I recall was the way she listened to what the customer wanted and carried it out to the letter. Her dad taught her and her sister to weld.
              Last edited by Kaffman; 18/04/2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

The first thing it takes to get the ball rolling is a show of hands as to who is in principle prepared to commit to ordering an aluminium tank. The tank fabricator I talked to was not interested in making me just one tank. He thought an order for five or more would start to justify him making the plug (for which he needs someone to sacrifice their GRP tank). So who wants an aluminium tank if we can get them made for a reasonable price? Please send me a PM

Comment

Working...
                X