No announcement yet.

Silverstone RDS front wheel spindle & steering damper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I have been thinking of fitting a hydraulic damper. What make did you use and a picture of how it was fitted would be useful please

Comment

I used the dampers available from Greeves as an option, I think they were about £3 at the time! The mounting was a piece of bent sheet steel which fatigued and cracked badly after a few years so I have made up alloy brackets for mine. I'd send you a photo of the mountings, but they are currently off the bikes as I am getting the frames powder coated. I'll send you a photo of the damper later, but I don't know if you'll be able to source anything the same size as the originals these days. In the meantime I've sent you a PM.

Comment

This is the damper and the brackets I now use. The front bracket fits to the upper shock absorber mount on the right fork leg and the rear bracket to the engine mount bolt. The original rear mount was, I believe to a hole drilled in the engine plate, but I found these developed cracks after a while. The damper length is 7 5/8ths between centres.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	85597

Comment

Thanks - this looks like the setup I will copy. I have a new issue to resolve being the three cooling holes in the left brake drum - the meshes are missing. I'll post a new thread on that.

Comment

Another job done - I have fitted an Öhlins SD 001 steering damper and fabricated a bracket that is held by two of the front engine mount bolts. This picture is of the trial fitting and the bracket will be painted and bolts cut to correct length and lock-wired before we get to scrutineering (or technical control as it is called these days). Will Boris allow the BHS test day at Mallory please? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4198.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	86482

Comment

Nice looking job!

Comment

Working...
              X