Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed Silverstone gearbox

Hi,

Gearbox on the Silverstone has now been rebuilt the way we found it with new bearings and seals, but finding it difficult to select a gear when using the gear lever setup. Can get gears okay when using a longer lever. Also can anyone tell me the correct sequence (1 up four down or other).

Thanks
    Trevor
    Cobra Classics

Yes, 1 up 4 down. Are you using the standard linkage with the lever pivoting on the footrest? It should shift easily, even by hand using the short lever on the shift shaft providing the mainshaft is rotated to allow the gear dogs to mesh. If it is tight it may be a lack of clearance on the shift drum putting an end load on this. The thing I find most tricky to set up is the pawl mechanism between the inner and outer cases as this has adjusting slots with no hints of how this should be adjusted. It needs to move the drum to engage the gear dogs fully, or an equal amount, for all gears both changing up and down. If the gearbox is out of the bike it is possible to observe the engagement of the gears by removing the small cover on the front of the gearbox, but this is aided if you have one of those digital inspection cameras with flexible shaft to allow you to peer inside.

Stan

Comment

To adjust the pawl mechanism put the box in second gear and with the outer end cover removed, push the gear lever down, noting the mesh of the control ratchet female with the control ratchet male. Lift the gear lever and check the meshing again, it should be about equal up and down. If it isn't then loosen the adjuster plate and rotate the plate on its slots so that the meshing is equal. I've taken the part descriptions from the parts list, so for clarity, the control ratchet female is the rectangular pawl and the control ratchet male is its circular counterpart. The adjuster plate is the roughly oval shaped plate which sits against the inner cover and is slotted where it is located on the studs.

Comment

Thanks Kevin. I didn't know that procedure, just trial and error. I must check to see if mine is correct, although it is now fitted with a Nova 6-speed cluster.

Stan

Comment

Working...
        X