More parts required RES Silverstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More parts required RES Silverstone

We have had the 5 speed Albion gearbox apart on the RES Silverstone and notice one end of the middle selector fork is broken off. Our client supplied two other gearboxes but both have the same issue. Was this a known issue and would anyone have one.
    We are also missing the steering head stem bolt. The one that goes up through the tapered head bearings I think it has different threads top and bottom.
    Thanks Trevor

Common problem. Work ok without the tip, check the other ends, if they look cracked take them off before they drop off into the gears! Never been able to find a new selector fork. That info was off a respected gearbox builder, not my personal opinion.

Comment

Re the steering head stem bolt, the drawing for this should be available from the GRA (PM Gary Bamford) Its easy to make just piece of steel rod threaded both ends

Comment

When we put my mate Ian's Silverstone into commission for me to ride about 30 years ago it had exactly the same problem, I broke off the cracked end of one fork and cleaned out the broken bits from the bottom of the case, then had to go and ask the chief scrutineer at a Cadwell VMCC meeting to be allowed out on its old triangular Dunlop tyres, known to go rock hard and very much not allowed- I was given the OK for one lap to see if the gearbox worked, then we had Ken (The tyre man) replace them- he has re-tyred that bike at least three times now. Peter.

Comment

Top thread is a ordinary cycle wing nut thread for the steering damper

Comment

I had to make a couple of these years back when I restored three RASs, 103+105+110. Fortunately Terry Silvester had an original I could buy and copy. The top thread is 5/16" X 26 tpi CEI as already said, for the damper wing nut. Below that is 3/8" for the hexagon nut that grips the steering damper top hat centre bush and lock the steering bearing adjustment. I would prefer to use steel that is tougher than mild steel, perhaps en8 or whatever its called these days. I also had to make the damper plates with swaged slots but maybe these are available nowadays.

Comment

What is the frame number of your current Silverstone? (for the racer database) and any others you may still have. Where in the world are you? as I note you have not filled your location in on your profile, always helps when asking for parts etc.

Comment

Hello John, just updated my profile. I live in Wales since 2018 but previously one mile from Greeves factory. Currently rebuilding my hybrid Silverstone that I will detail when it has passed its road race test. Frame number is 24 RBS 130.

Comment

Working...
                X