No announcement yet.

Silverstone grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Greeves also fitted those Britax throttles & grips to the Hawkstone. In the specification for a 24MD they state under Controls - Heavy gauge handlebars fitted with latest pattern ultra - light nylon quick action twist grip throttle and PVC comp grips. Control levers have individual cable adjusters and the lever ends are fitted with protection knobs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pretty sure that back in the day my dad had Doherty grips on his Silverstone RCS, but not sure what was original. He ran those grips on most bikes I think. They certainly look more period than Renthal ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        Pretty sure that back in the day my dad had Doherty grips on his Silverstone RCS, but not sure what was original. He ran those grips on most bikes I think. They certainly look more period than Renthal ones.
        I think you would not find many bikes still with original grips, and the Doherty ones (all be it repro ones) have always been available, and look the part.

Comment

Do I remember correctly? The 'orrible grips shown work really well with muddy hands, fine on a trials bike nbg on a racer! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGreig View Post
            Do I remember correctly? The 'orrible grips shown work really well with muddy hands, fine on a trials bike nbg on a racer! Peter.
            No not really as Brian Catt has said they clogged up with mud and being plastic became slippery when wet. Total crap but cheap to buy from all motorcycle dealers, and made your road going BSA Bantam, Fanny Barnett, Greeves (or whatever cash strapped youngsters rode in the 60's) look like a 'scrambler'.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/06/2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I can remember a Brill scramble meeting where we had one of our pals fall after the water splash. The throttle grip was absolutely covered in mud and he lost all throttle control after that. We had to use a scrubbing brush to clean it out before his next race.

Comment

I think we are going to go with the Doherty grips as it's an RES and not an early Silverstone.
                The Doherty grip will have a better period look and if the bike is used in anger will be up to the job.
                We will be going with the original plastic twist grip though.
                Trevor

Comment

Some of you may remember that Tom Philips won the 250 ACU Star in 1963, on an RAS, Number 105. Anyway, his bike was tuned and maintained by the late Eric Stroud and he told me the story of when Tom came back to the paddock after doing very well in his first race on the Greeves at Mallory Park. Tom dismounted and leant the bike against the van saying "its just a glorified scrambler" and strode off. Getting back to grips, yes the Mark 1 Silverstone was a glorified MDS scrambler and my factory studio picture clearly shows the coarse grips. So imho, if you want to reproduce a factory model you need all the original detail correct but if its an authentic racer leave the mods in place and fit something appropriate. Both versions are equally interesting and authentic.
                  When I found RAS105 in a Doncaster garage it had many original parts but a Starmaker engine unit had been fitted. I often wonder if I did the right thing in discarding that engine in favour of an original RAS type and also where it is now, being ridden or an ornament.

Comment

Working...
                  X