Silverstone grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverstone grips

Looking to replace the worn and split handlebar grips on a 1967 Silverstone RES. Does anyone know if they are still available or a close replacement.

Thanks
    Trevor
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_093951_resized_20200610_094024472.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	82028

These horrible blister making grips would not have been the originals, they were a cheapo plastic repro part sold in the 1960's. The original grips would have been rubber Doherty ones, plenty available on line ie https://www.classicbikepartscheshire...iABEgJ9-PD_BwE

Comment

Thanks John. I can breath a sigh of relief. I did think they where very ugly for such a nice little bike.

Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        These horrible blister making grips would not have been the originals, they were a cheapo plastic repro part sold in the 1960's. The original grips would have been rubber Doherty ones.....
        Yes, not the nicest of grips those, hard and slippery as I remember.....but as to them not being original, I'm not so sure....

Have a close look at the attached pic and enlargement detail from the Factory Greeves Silverstone Brochure. The pic quality isn't great, but they certainly look familiar.....

I guess it all comes down to originality and what the finished bike is to be used for. If it's going to be ridden, and originality isn't of too much concern (or you're not too worried about a visit from the 'Grip Inspectors'....!!) if it was me I might consider fitting something more modern like these Renthal Trials grips. They come in three compounds, have a molded-in lock wire channel and from a distance nobody would be any the wiser...it wouldn't bother me if they were, others may feel differently....

Brian.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well ill eat my hat, yes you are right Brian looks like Greeves did fit the cheapo grips have found this pic of one with those 'orrible plastic grips and even the quick action plastic twist grip that I think was by same manufacturer. Cant believe Greeves were so cheapskate on a comp bike.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/06/2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Yes John...but the pic I posted is from an original Greeves Factory Brochure....is yours?

I'm not going to get into a deep discussion about handle bar grips so I'll just leave you with this thought....

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

No its a restored bike seen at Burley in Wharfedale Classic Vehicle Show 17/08/2014 (from Flickr) so just confirms your original brochure pic

Comment

.….and just for a little additional clarity and to avoid any further gripping (!), yes, I'm fully aware that the factory brochure pic I posted is of an RAS model Silverstone, and yes, by the time the RES came out Greeves could have been fitting Doherty grips.....I reckon it was whatever they had in the parts bin that week from the Britax (insert supplier of choice) rep....maybe!!

The point I was making, and for the benefit of the original poster in regard to the pic he posted, is that (quote!) '....as to them not being original...,I'm not so sure'.....it certainly looks like Greeves fitted them to RAS models to me. I'm sure the viewers can make up their own minds after looking at the pics.

That's me done.

Brian.

Comment

Yes they were Britax as were the plastic twist grips, dealers used to have them on a card behind the counter, they were cheap and cheerful and lots were sold back in the day. The twist grips were available in both standard and quick action.

Comment

Well that's good information from John, I now know who made the original twist grip for my RDS. The question is, are they still available? I ask because one of mine is split and I'd like to replace it, not because of originality, but because I actually think they work quite well. Re the grips, I'm pretty sure that Brian is right and that by the time the RCS came out the Doherty grips were being fitted. My RCSs and RDS were all fitted with them and I am quite sure that at least one of the bikes was untouched from new.

Comment

I think you will struggle to find any now Kevin maybe some new old stock from a dealer clear out, unlike Doherty I dont think anyone has made pattern parts. Britax used to make a range of car and motorcycle parts back in the 60's. The only Britax company listed today is a childrens car seat manufacturer https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07467954

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLS View Post
                        Well that's good information from John, I now know who made the original twist grip for my RDS.
                        Sorry Kevin, but I have to say this.....

First John says the grips shown in the original post would not have been original. I disagree and suggest they were indeed the original items, based on the images in the official factory brochure, to which John concedes....after editing his original response to this post!

I then add further info, including the suggestion that they were Britax items. John agrees and suddenly it's 'good info from John'....??

In the meantime I see he has added further info following a Google search.

This isn't point scoring on my part, just setting the record straight for having pointed him in the right direction.....

Brian.

Comment

Kevin,

These are sold by the VMCC shop and are pattern items based on Wassell items for classic Kawasakis. Not quite the same, but the grip style is very similar and maybe as near as you'll get.... They could be modified a bit with a craft knife....https://www.vmccshop.net/kawasaki-ha...-grips-wassell

As you'll remember, I did only 'suggest' they were Britax items, so maybe they were Wassell items instead.....I'm sure John will be along to confirm shortly....!

Brian.

Attached Files

Comment

Just a few words.....sod the rivet counters, fit whatever you are comfortable with. Those plastic grips are great until you have rain or mud on them and you cannot get them clean easily! I would go for the soft Renthals with either lockwire or grip glue.

Comment

Completely agree Brian, as I said in my first post when I suggested the Renthals, but Kevin likes the originals so I was just trying to be helpful.....

Brian. (the other Brian.)

Comment

Working...
                              X