Project parts wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project parts wanted

I need a few bits for my Silverstone build such as clip ons, front wheel keepers, tacho Scitsu or a Krober that works off the ignition battery. I have seen 45mm clip ons on ebay that might fit, being slightly bigger than the original 1.75". Anybody here tried them? Might be more needed but thats all for now. Dave 07930 305376
    Last edited by Kaffman; 26/05/2020, 12:58 PM.

The front wheel is held in with the mudguard stay you need one where the mudguard fits inside the stay

Comment

I know what you mean but not fitting a mudguard this time. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Parkwood Products manufacture the front wheel keepers, but make sure you get the right size. I tried 45mm clip ons and they fit fine, but obviously not "period". I got the ones which allow you to adjust the downward slope of the bars. Most modern bikes have an angle of about 6 degrees, whereas the standard Silverstone bars are much steeper than that.

Comment

I have drawings for clip ons if you are interested.

Comment

Thankyou Kevin and Phil for your info. I may well need the drawings some time and will get back to you, Phil, if and when. Just need the great Welsh lockdown to be relaxed so I can go collect more stuff.

Comment

Not wishing to count chickens but think we might be on the move soon. The engine I am buying, its one I built about 10 years ago, is bereft of its cylinder head sleeve nuts. Does anyone here have a set or know if they have been made? I dont mind if they are fine or coarse threads as I usually helicoil them anyway. Alternative is AJS/Starmaker wasted steel studs and nuts. Rather than use an original or repro fibre glass tank I have found a Honda 250 rs steel one that with a bit of repair and modification looks not too bad and ok with ethanol.

Comment

I have a Krober tacho which could do with a good home, problem is no model number is to be seen- pm me your phone no svp. Peter.

Comment

I have contacted Peter but unfortunately a krober of unknown type is a gamble too far. There used to be a good repairer of these called Peter Champness but dont know if he still works on them. I have been looking a cheepos on ebay that rely on pulses from the coil or a pickup on the crank. I think they are millivoltmeters but again, without specific connection info could get blown on first use. The sellers dont seem to know much as they appear to be selling allsorts and not bike related stuff generally.

Comment

When buying a few parts for the project the other day, I was handed some cylinder sleeve bolts, happy days.

Today discovered Villiers Services do sleeve bolts 6" long for £9 ea. These are ok for a short barrel, including my own but original cylinders would have longer bolts, 6.25" I think so longer studs needed. In case anyone out there needs to know.
                    Although I have a steel Honda tank to modify and fit, I just wondered if someone has an ally race tank hanging in the shed rafters to spare.
                    Last edited by Kaffman; 03/08/2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Pressing on with my project, got the frame set sitting on wheels, less tyres, on my new home made bench with locking castors. My wife made a rare visit and gasped, that looks like another bike. Praise indeed. Anyway, I am looking for an RBS/RCS/RDS style seat. Where do we get these currently? I spoke to Roger Ennis but he only does the RES style at the moment. I found the steering head long stud has been over tightened and threads stretched some time so need another or a length of EN8 if anyone can advise,

Comment

RE seat , try Ken Halliwell 0151 489 2949. Rev Counter , Scitsu are self contained, pick up is a wire taped along HT lead. 0114 246 1638.

Comment

Leighton made me a good seat cover for my RDS not sure if they do a base I think John Collard used to make them

Comment

Ken Halliwell is the man, thanks Tim for reminding me. Ken made me a nice RAS fairing about 20 years ago and I didn't realise he was still in business. He also makes tanks. A non standard alternative to the vinyl seat cover I tried on my last RAS was blue closed sell foam in two sections. I used this method after I inserted the battery for the Boyer Bransden ignition system into the front area of the seat. I wonder where that one is now, 24 RAS 110, originally ridden by John Weatherall. Had a lovely ally tank.

Comment

Still trying to finish my project having been distracted a bit. Update: I got tank, seat and fairing from Ken Halliwell. Made seat cover from black vinyl using my trusty Singer. Exhaust header hydro-formed and sections rolled and tacked. Just making silencer. Ignition all up and sparking, Gardner carb fitted and just making brackets to hang float chamber. Still need a tacho otherwise will share Scitsu with my Stormer racer. So just tyres and exhaust plus 59 little details to the finish line. Oh yes, one more thing, paint. That might have to wait till spring. I still have some 1k Talbot Baltic blue as recommended by the late Dave Barrett. Also handy as it matches my Toyota van. Enough ramblings for now and back to the workshop.
                              Last edited by Kaffman; 25/11/2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X