Spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug

I have recently aquired a Silverstone and have been advised that the plug that is installed is incorrect but can't seem to find out what it should be. Can anyone advise please?

According to the service notes for my RCS it should be a Lodge k50 with 0.016" gap, I am sure someone will know the modern equivalent. It may differ with other models

Comment

Back in the day I used to use Lodge R50 racing plugs but started and warmed up the bike on a softer plug, R47, before changing to the race plug. The hard plug oils up easily otherwise. Modern plugs seem to be much more forgiving. I have used NGK 9 grade plugs for years now in my RDS Silverstone, starting and racing on the same plug. Depending on what ignition system you are using the fine point type (gold or platinum) seem to work best. With the PVL ignition I am using they recommend non-resistor plugs with .020" gap.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Comment

Wow, I didn't realise NGK plugs were that good these days! I always warmed up on a soft plug and then changed to a Lodge R49. Once I went out with the soft plug still in. It didn't take long for the top of the piston to burn through - lesson learnt! This was in the days of a standard Steffa ignition so nowadays with modern electronics, things are probably much better.

Comment

I was using the B9 NGKs for quite a few years with the Steffa ignition before fitting the PVL, which I did for 2 reasons. The timing stays where you set it, unlike with the points which I had to reset between races over the weekend as the timing would retard considerably as the points heel wears/beds down and I missed a few races when the spark would mysteriously disappear when I tried to start the bike as the race was called. It used to be a running joke amongst my racing buddies as I would swop parts that I had previously removed and the spark would return again. They reckoned I had a magic pyramid that restored the powers of the parts .
          Stan

Comment

Just had PVL ignition fitted and the suggested plug is a B8ES - not run it yet

Comment

Been running a NGK B9HVX with no problems for several years, PVL ignition gives a stronger spark with no oiling up even when cold, no need to warm up with a soft plug as was the case in the 1960s. Also the use of fully synthetic oil instead of "R" helps. Dogsbody

Comment

Working...
              X