Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake 'plug'

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what the hole in the rear brake is for? Should this have a plug in it? Metal/plastic etc?.... and just another question... what is the thread?

This is on a '65 Silverstone

Many thanks

It is for the speedo drive when used , when not used the hole was filled with a plastic plug - similar to a blanking plug in a light switch socket .

Can't remember what the thread size is .

Chris

Comment

Speedo drive/brake arm

Its for speedo drive on roadsters & trials. (see pic) I note the brake torque arm has been drilled, if this is alloy then I would have thought this would make it weak. Were they originally like this on Silverstone? as the roadsters had a steel one (undrilled) If it breaks it will lock the rear wheel & you will be off.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/08/2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Blimey, Quick replies!

Thanks, that does seem quite obvious now when you think about it, but I didn’t realise the BHC brakes were used so universally across the range (with this being a road racer).

If someone does happen to know the thread it would really assist in making a plug up.

As you noticed John it has been drilled (by the previous owner!) Its not something that I would do myself but it is fairly thick, I think it will be ok, but another will be made up over the winter. It came with the original steel brake stays so I expect they were the same ones as the roasters?

Comment

Thread

If someone does happen to know the thread it would really assist in making a plug up.
          Just put a rubber blanking plug/grommet in it as suggested by Chris. Most car accessory shops have these. Or turn plug up out of plastic such as nylon slightly larger than the hole & tap it in.

Comment

Cheers John, I was going to do something out of alloy, but yeah it would be easier to just turn up some nylon and tap it in.

Comment

thread size

Hi RCS, Interesting warning about the strength of the brake torque arm. I have recently had the misfortune to have lost the fixing bolt for the arm, luckily I was only travelling at 30 MPH but the results were still quite severe. A flat spotted tyre, written off speedo gearbox, written off brake rod and plenty of paint missing. There's a lesson here for us all, check the tightness of the fixing bolt. Imagine the result of this occuring at a higher speed or worse still a failure at the front wheel. Anyway to answer your querie of thread size, having just finished making a complete speedo gearbox, the thread is a 0.718 (23/32) inch x 26 tpi cycle thread.
              Regards, Mike Edwards.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Mike just had the front wheel out of my G3LS must double check all for a while untill settles down.
                Regards
                Stuart

Comment

I find that a sherry cork is just the right size to screw in, nice and tight!

Comment

Working...
                  X