Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting the leading link!

Hi All,

I've removed my leading link in order to fit new dampers, I'm struggling to put it back together.

Is there a special way for assembling the leading link into the forks, do you put the nylon washers (either side of the link) in first or together with the leading link?

How do you get it all past the metal tabs that project out of the forks without having to bend anything?

Many thanks

Hi RCS! Have to confess that I've never actually fitted(or seen for that matter) the nylon "washers" fitted in the leading link forks. If I was to do so, then the Nylon "washers" would have to be assembled to the loop first and the entire assembly offered up to the fork legs. The difficult thing I suspect is keeping the "washers" in place during this operation. I think I'd try applying grease to each washer face that mated with the Bottom loop to hold them in place! Failing that I'd put each pair in place on the loop then run some selotape from the top of one washer, vertically up and across the top surface of the rubber bush housing and down across the top face to the second washer.
    Not sure if this all makes sense but worth a try if it does. Do let us know how you get on.
    Adrian

Comment

Thanks for the reply Adrian,

We have managed to fit the leading link without the washers, and it now pivots freely (it was sticky and stiff before)

I’m wondering if it should ever have had the nylon washers in the first place?

I presume someone on here can tell me if they're meant to be there? Or perhaps they’re off a road model and not a Silverstone?

What a quirky idea……

Comment

Fitting Leading Links - Wear Rings.

Hello, you don't say what bike the forks were off, nor which type of forks you have. I guess that as you mention the 'metal tabs' that you have the later type of rubber in torsion Leading Links, (62 - 65). These had nylon wear rings either side of the bush housings. I fit them first using a dab of grease to hold them in place, sliding the loop in, then with a bit of fiddling with a screwdriver, they locate into the gap between the housing outer face and the side plates of the forks. Unfortunately, unless ALL are exactly parallel, then the gap is wedge shaped, which causes binding at the narrow part. Overtightening, damage (esp to the loop), or poor brazing alignment can lead to this. I gently open the side plates before fitting, and, if needed, cold form them parallel. By not fitting them, you may get an easier action, but if there is any lateral play in the bushes, this will result in the bush mount ring outers grinding into the inside of the side plates.

Any help?

Comment

Thanks Peter-another mystery solved!

I've been wondering about those for a very long time mate! I won't know the condition of mine until strip down/rebuild time comes, but wouldn't be at all surprised to find them 'missing' after all these years....I've often heard they are ommited on rebuild.

I've only ever seen one set of second hand wear rings for sale (on EBay-looked like they were made from black nylon?) They were a flat, large washer-like shape with a small raised lip on the outer circumference.

Does anyone know of a current commercial source for these by the way?

Thanks,

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Having already got the front end together we have decided to leave these rings out for the meantime, the bike will only be used once as a "test" before being rebuilt (cosmetically) over the winter. If the rubbers are in good condition then I dont expect there to be any lateral play? I cant feel any in mine so I expect they will be ok, the bike is a RCS Silverstone, so the bike will only be doing low/limited miles.

Comment

Working...
            X