RDS engine plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDS engine plates

Hi, As I have been unable to locate the correct engine for my RDS I intend to fit a 250 Griffon engine which I have. Can anyone tell me which engine plates to use and are there any drawings out there for them.

Given the different type of mounting, especially the gearbox, this could be a bit tricky. All models of Silverstone, less the RAS, used Challenger MX1 plates. The drawings for these exist but I am not sure how you will mount the back of it. There are various Griffon drawings which may help with hole centres, etc. Has the supply of long-stroke engines finally dried up?

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you for your advice the engine no is GPF 13/216 and gearbox no is GB2C 2333 if this helps. As the bike did not come with the correct engine or plates this is the nearest I have found to date. I have tried some challenger plates at the front and they appear to fit.
      If anyone has a spare RDS engine for sale I would be interested in buying it or exchanging for the griffon engine.

Comment

RDS engine plates

If you intend to fit the Griffon gearbox as well as the engine there are a few problems. The rear engine mounts on the Griffon go side to side not front to back like the Challenger, so you'll need to make new rear engine mount. Another thing is that the Griffon box is a lot deeper than the Albion box and interferes with the Silverstone underslung exhaust so you'll need to find a different route for the pipe.
        Why not find a long stroke engine and uprate it to get near Silverstone spec.

Druid

Comment

RDS engine plates

The penny has finally dropped. When I purchased the bike it was fitted with a villiers twin engine and has been road registered. Whoever did this has cut off the gear box rear mounting plate and brazed or welded two lugs on the rear down tube across the frame, which is why the griffon engine looks like it will fit with the right spacers and engine plates.
          Can anyone see a problem with going ahead with this rather than fabricating a new rear mounting and finding another engine?

Comment

I have some long stroke bits if any use? Crankcases, pistons, 4 speed gearbox. The box needs a bit of work but selects all the gears.

David.

Comment

Working...
            X