Tyre Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Sizes

I have rebuilt my RAS replica over winter and the last job is replacing the perished race tyres. It has 18" WM1 and WM2 rims fitted. I was going to fit Heidenau race tyres but they are only available 2.50 x 18 and 3.00 x 18- they say a 3.50 is too big for the rear? I think 2.50 is too small on the front?, so could I fit 3.00 F & R ?
    Bear in mind I haven't used a race tyre since 1977 and the RBS I raced in the 60s had Dunlop Triangulars on, and it will be parades only at the moment. So, any recommendations??????????? Dogsbody

A lot of people seem to use Avons these days. However, I have a Dunlop KR825 on the front and an Avon AM22 (I think) on the rear and these seem to work OK. My Silverstone had WM1's front and rear and I used a 2.75 front and 3.25 rear, both Dunlops as that was all there was really back in the 70's.

I don't know off hand the sizes on the Yam as they are in these strange 90/90 measurements but will have a look tomorrow.

Comment

I used Avon Roadrunner race compound tyres on my RDS for years, 80/90 front and 90/9 rear. These profile well on a WM1 front and WM2 rear rims. However, I put on a set of Heidenaus at the end of the 2012 season and have used them since, 2.75 front (K45R) and 3:00 rear (K65R) and I am really impressed with the grip, both in the dry and in the wet. Plus they were half the price of the Avons, over in Canada anyway. I reckon that these are as large a tyre as required on a 250 and that most bikes are over-tyred now. Something to do with bigger must be better.
      Stan

Comment

Stan, Thanks for that. Gone with your recommendation, fitting to the wheels tomorrow. What tyre pressures do you run? Colin

Comment

That's a good question. I used to run 27psi front and 29psi rear in the dry with the Avons, dropping a couple of pounds in each in the wet (although I was reading something recently about increasing the pressures in the wet to decrease the contact patch and therefore increase the lbs/sq in to cut through the water film better??).
          I am not sure how I came up with these pressures as, when I checked the Greeves RDS Service Notes recently it states pressures as 21psi front and rear for the 2.75 Dunlop triangulars that were fitted at both ends originally. So .... I dropped the pressures in the Heidenaus to 23psi front and 25 rear and they seem to work OK, but maybe I am not pushing hard enough to feel the difference
          The rule of thumb that seems to be used as a guide here, among the vintage bike racers anyway, is that the pressures should be used that give a 10% increase in tyre pressure between cold (before going out) and hot (just off the track) but have to admit I haven't checked this out yet. Note to self that I need to get more serious about this racing thing
          Stan

Comment

Working...
          X