Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a greeves

Good morning all,

I hope someone can help me with a Greeves I have found in one of our sheds.As far as I'm aware it's a Silverstone and there is a stamp on the engine block GP A2138. As far as I'm aware it came from the Isle of man or England and had a bit of race pedigree but know little else to its engine size,year of manufacture or it's value if any. I have included a few pics although there is several boxes of parts or spare parts with it that are not included in the pics....

Regards

Mark.

If you Look on the left hand side of the steering head you should find the frame number , will make identifying a lot easier .

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Cheers for the info.Will have a look and update with more info.

Comment

Certainly looks like one. Five-speed cambarrel gearbox and blue tank and frame = 1966 24RDS.

Looks like the frame number will take a bit of getting to, Chris!

Definitely worth bringing back to life! Where are you?
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin,

Your right about the RDS, I managed to see the side of the bars and it says 24RDS 102

You think then it's a 1966?

I'm in Northern Ireland

Comment

Looks like a good project for someone!

Comment

I would say your right Brian although I think it would take someone more dedicated than me. Unfortunately I have at least a dozen things before this to restore 3 of which are also bikes and worst of all,I know nothing about bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Deskhead View Post
                Hi Colin,

Your right about the RDS, I managed to see the side of the bars and it says 24RDS 102

You think then it's a 1966?

I'm in Northern Ireland
                24RDS 102 would have been the second one of the total production run of 59. The whole batch was manufactured between 15th May 1966 and 15th July 1966, so it definitely is 1966.

The GRA would be able to say exactly when it left the factory and to which dealer it went. We have to charge £20 to non-members for the information though. If you want to follow that up I'll tell you who to contact.

What a project. I'm very tempted by it myself!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Silverstone

Hi Mark,

What a find! Looks like the photos were taken in a cave! I don't suppose its for sale is it?

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

Hi again Colin,

Many thanks for the info.I woulnt be overly fussed on knowing its exact dispatch date,more the manufacture date and now I presume the gpa2138 is related to the engine and not the actual bike serial number.

I should have a good look through the several boxes with it as on first browse they seemed full of bits relating to the bike...

Is it still possible to pick up a manual for it?

QUOTE=Colin Sparrow;12549]24RDS 102 would have been the second one of the total production run of 59. The whole batch was manufactured between 15th May 1966 and 15th July 1966, so it definitely is 1966.

The GRA would be able to say exactly when it left the factory and to which dealer it went. We have to charge £20 to non-members for the information though. If you want to follow that up I'll tell you who to contact.

What a project. I'm very tempted by it myself![/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi Andrew,

If I knew what it's value was I might consider it.....problem is I'm more an antique fireplace man than a racing enthusiast

QUOTE=Andy Z;12550]Hi Mark,

What a find! Looks like the photos were taken in a cave! I don't suppose its for sale is it?

Cheers,
                      Andrew[/QUOTE]
                      Last edited by Deskhead; 17/10/2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Its a bit difficult to value without some better photos. Any chance?

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

No probs at all,I shall have a bit of spare time this weekend and shall take a few good ones and rummage through those boxes also..

Comment

[QUOTE=Deskhead;12555]Hi again Colin,

Many thanks for the info.I woulnt be overly fussed on knowing its exact dispatch date,more the manufacture date and now I presume the gpa2138 is related to the engine and not the actual bike serial number.

I should have a good look through the several boxes with it as on first browse they seemed full of bits relating to the bike...

Is it still possible to pick up a manual for it? [QUOTE]

Fine, you can be certain it was manufactured May-July 1966.

Yes, GPA2138 is simply the engine number.

Reprints of service notes for various Silverstone models can be bought through the club. Engine and gearbox information is also available.

Looks like you might end up with an auction on your hands - that's one way of establishing a value!
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi colin,

Thanks again for the info and might just contact the club regarding a manual for it. I hadn't actually thought of the auction but would probably be a better idea as there is one close to where we live and I have seen them advertise old cars etc before.

Comment

Working...
                              X