Bit of an Oddity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of an Oddity...

The fuel tank from the 500cc racer which appears on page 113 of the "Greeves" book has turned up. In the book it is captioned as a factory project, however the Archive copy bears a note in Bert Greeves' handwriting saying that it wasn't.

It looks as if it was a special put together by Frank Bell, but it does clearly have one of the geared-primary-drive 500cc Griffon engines. So how did that prototype engine escape - and where is it now?

Anyone ex-factory know the story (Chris?)

Final odd bit - the tank's made of wood!

Maybe that's an answer to the ethanol problem..?
    Attached Files
    Colin Sparrow

When the company lost interest in the 500, Nicoll and Clayton preferred the 380, it was offered for sale. In fact there was a classified ad in the MCN for it.
    I think the first buyer may have been Jack Knight, the gear man, probably persuaded by a silver tongued Tony O'Neil.

I think he soon lost interest and it was sold to a local Essex dealer, John Vine.

When he lost interest he sold it to Andrew King, I think it then ended up with Dave Harper, where it now resides.

In between these various moves I believe the Halstead brother in Yorkshire ran one for hill climbing. I think Andrew would be the guy to fill in the gaps.

Druid

Comment

I think druid knows more about than I do .

Chris

Comment

Its now with a Cambridge member, (the tank that is) he brought it along to last Cambridge group meeting. Very small capacity, probably less than a gallon. More suitable for a sprinter than a road racer I would have thought.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/03/2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
          When the company lost interest in the 500, Nicoll and Clayton preferred the 380, it was offered for sale. In fact there was a classified ad in the MCN for it.
          I think the first buyer may have been Jack Knight, the gear man, probably persuaded by a silver tongued Tony O'Neil.

I think he soon lost interest and it was sold to a local Essex dealer, John Vine.

When he lost interest he sold it to Andrew King, I think it then ended up with Dave Harper, where it now resides.

In between these various moves I believe the Halstead brother in Yorkshire ran one for hill climbing. I think Andrew would be the guy to fill in the gaps.

Druid
          Was more than just the one 500cc engine/gearbox? I seem to recall seeing parts of more than one at Andrew's. I'll have to ask him.

Not a bad wheeze, trying it in a road racer. A 380 Griffon produces about 40bhp, a good 500 Manx Norton about 50, so it ought to have been competitive.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Was more than just the one 500cc engine/gearbox? I seem to recall seeing parts of more than one at Andrew's. I'll have to ask him.

Not a bad wheeze, trying it in a road racer. A 380 Griffon produces about 40bhp, a good 500 Manx Norton about 50, so it ought to have been competitive.

Hi Colin,

If I recall Andrew had a advert in the Leading Link offering his 500 inventory...I was tempted to make an offer, but thought it all should stay on your side.

I'll thumb through my old issues and see if I can locate that particular issue.

Regards,
            Kenny

Comment

There were a number of engine sets produced. I think the deal was all these sets plus lots of spare engine parts plus casting patterns.

I don't know how many complete engines were built by the factory, probably 2 or 4 plus whatever the subsequent project owners built up.

There was an article in MCI a while back (35 years!) on the engine when Jack Knight was going to make a world beater of it. Worst example of journalism I think I've seen in that particular magazine.

Druid

Comment

Working...
              X