Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend an Electronic ignition

Hi All

Can anyone recommend electronic ignition kit for my bike please? I need lighting coils.
    I've added a picture of the back plate
    Attached Files

2 choices Elextrix World or PVL from Goddard Racing. I have both and both work well. The main issue with Elextrix world is that the lighting coils give out a pathetic amount if at all. The customer service from Elextrix World is just about not existence so if you don’t need lighting coils go for the PVL.

Comment

Tony. Looks like the PVL system is only for the Greeves Griffon engines as a replacement for Motoplat. http://goddardracingdevelopments.co....nition-systems
      Banno's engine is a Villiers!

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

As you will read in response to this question on Facebook Electrex world ignitions are generally good but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Works well on my '62 model Scottish. Bit confused by the PVL situation as many of the pre65 riders in the trials I observe at tell me they are running PVL on Villiers and Bantam engines but according to the websites they dont do them for these engines. I will ask around again at the up comng road trial for my own satisfaction!
          Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

I have a PVL system on my TDS, however ignition only so of no use if lighting system require. It was quite a few years ago, but supplied by a combination of Villiers services and the one man company in Dronfield, (cannot remember the exact name) Works well, except that the supplied flywheel didn't have a key to locate it's position, retaining it's angular position whilst tigthening the flywheel on the taper took a bit of ingenuity. First event with this fitted, pre-65 trials bike class in a twin shock enduro, the flywheel slipped on the start line leaving me stranded. I managed to sort it for the second leg, not simple in a grassy field.
            John

Comment

I really dont know why people waste their money fitting electronic ignition. The original system of coils and points works fine if components are kept in good condition, and if something does fail its a simple matter of replacing points, condenser etc. and which can be done on the side of the road or at a trial. If an electronic ignition fails there aint much you can do other than replace the whole system. Further more the original lighting coils supplied sufficient current to run lights. I think the main problem with today's owner is the starting technique required with the Villiers engine. You really have to give it a good kick (usually more than one to prime the fuel) Riders today dont have this technique.

Comment

Working...
              X