No announcement yet.

Need a bigger shed...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having sourced and fitted new swing arm bushes, I've got the chassis rolling. The rims are high tensile Dunlop, never chromed from new. Most bits that could wear out, did, and have now been replaced. The original Girling shocks were either bent, seized or devoid of oil, so have been replaced with Betor gas/oil units which I've used before and like the ride they give. A long way to go but nice to get it back on its wheels again.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

All looking good Jeff. Have you applied for V5c yet? if you have not already done so I would suggest that you do so soon as DVLA can take months to issue a new V5c when applying via a V62 form. One member I know waited almost a year to get his. DVLA lost the paperwork at one stage!

Comment

Hi John, no I haven't 'got around' to it yet, lax of me I know no excuses just a lot going on, I'll get on it!

Comment

Jeff , don't know if you get Classic Dirtbike mag in the latest edition there is an article about Butler trial bike that will be of interest to you

Comment

Hi Simon, yes I've got that copy, shame it hasn't got the proper forks on it, they help define the bike, (and I thought my old one steered really well with those fitted) if that makes sense, but good to see another one in rideable condition. That 74 KTM enduro they feature in the mag was on display at Telford, looked even better in the flesh!

Comment

So I tried a first fit up of the repaired bodywork, still in primer, needed a bit of fettling but ok now. I have the correct profile front guard but will persevere with this 'rescued' one for now. The top end is Ajax Pearson, (came with another bike now sold) originally for a 9E but bored to 66mm and with the porting matched up by Simon at Nametab. (The crank has the short rod).
              It runs ok with quick throttle response (light mag flywheel, no trials lead ring fitted) but blows from the cylinder head joint.
              I wasn't sure if it should have a gasket, the faces looked ok with a straight edge across them but I assembled it face to face with no gasket, as per Greeves ali barrels, although there is no liner protrusion or rebate in the head, so next job is to find suitable material (ali or copper) to fabricate a gasket.
              If all else fails I'll pop the original iron barrel, piston and head back on.
              It needs proper trials handlebars fitted, the MX ones on it feel horrible. So a bit left to do, paint will take a while, but getting close............
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

A thin alloy gasket should do the trick, but a good idea to lap head to barrel with valve grinding paste. It would probably have had a square barrel originally.Never seen an Ajax barrel on a 9E they were originally made for the 8E. Presumably they carried them over in a modified for form go karts.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/03/2022, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Jeff ,Villiers services do alloy gaskets for alloy barrels in different thickness ,I brought a couple to lower compression on Burian better than trying to make you own .
                  They are in Greeves spares .
                  Simon

Comment

Thanks John and Simon, I'll have a go at lapping the head to the barrel, I think some of the problem may be that with the bore taken out to 66mm (from 59mm) there's not much meat left around the outside to accommodate a gasket. I wasn't aware that VS did head gaskets for alloy barrels, I'll have a look. The head stud spacing is unequal on this barrel, but I can make one if I have to.

My first Butler had an MDS square barrel on it, John, no gasket, (see photos earlier in the thread) but there are photos of them with iron barrels. I only used the Ajax because it was so much lighter and just sitting on the shelf...........

Comment

Yes I think there were some with the standard 32A iron barrel, maybe the cheaper version.

Comment

Tried lapping the head to the barrel, still blew, so made a 0.75mm thick soft ali gasket, that's sorted it, shouldn't affect performance too much, it needs to be soft for trials, right........
                        Bodywork finished and fitted, nothing left to do but ride it now. Colour scheme was my choice, I like it anyway.........
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Looks good Jeff, as far as compression is concerned, might be worth checking that, measure the cylinder head capacity. I dont think Ajax made a trials version of the alloy 'round barrel' conversion, as far as I recall it was mainly for scrambles or go karts, so may be high comp & you may need to reduce it further with thicker gasket.

Comment

Yes John, I've got a 7E in a James K7 with an Ajax top end, and had to use a 1.5mm thick head gasket to get the compression ratio down to a sensible level having measured combustion chamber volume against swept cylinder volume, but you could tell it was too high by the way it ran, and kicked over. This one doesn't seem too bad so in the first instance I'll see how it rides, and go from there. The porting does seem fairly wild, so probably is for scrambles use. If its not suitable I'll put the iron barrel on that it came with, but it'll be a bit of fun finding out!

Comment

Met up with Simon (trailrider 17 on here) at the Somerton classic two day trial, near Cheddar, Somerset, my first chance to ride the Butler over 'proper' terrain, and have a good look over Simons' unique Burian, the restoration of which is a credit to him.. pix attached.
                              The AJAX top end on the Butler is almost certainly ported for scrambles, picks up quickly, sounds crisp and lifts the front wheel when blipped in 2nd gear. good fun but no good for trials, not enough bottom end. It doesn't have a weighted trials mag flywheel either, which would help matters, so I think I'll shop for one of those, and put the iron barrel back on.
                              The event was superb, with a good turn out of GRA members, who acquitted themselves well, I'm sure there will be a report on here soon.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                              Last edited by Jeff Morgan; 14/06/2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5ashwickemboro10722.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	92662Click image for larger version

Name:	6ashwickemboro10722.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	92663 By way of an update, I've now ridden 3 events on the Butler, have fitted the iron barrel which makes it far better for trials, pulls and steers well and is light. I've put more preload on the front shocks since the photos were taken (at the 1st event), easier than me trying to lose weight..........!
                                Have just landed this winters' project, again not a Greeves, but an off roader and technically interesting, subject of another thread though.

Comment

Working...
                                X