This is whats happening in my shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is whats happening in my shed

Early in the year I brought a rolling chassis and some engine parts , didn't have a clue what it was but thought it was for a Villiers engine and it looked a well made bike ( the guy I brought it from didn't know either).
    It came with a few manky Villiers parts and a unusual alloy barrel but no head.
    I thought it might be a Cheetah or Wasp but after asking several people on Facebook sites and lots of other suggestions I was not sure what it was.
    I then contacted Blue Miller at OBM and he put some photos on the Feedback page and then I got an email from a chap called Trevor Andrews with the answer .The bike was owned buy Trevor and is a very rare and historic one off bike called a BURIAN .
    It is a Villiers engined bike built in 1965 by John Banks BSA works rider and he called it a BURIAN after Bury st Edmunds where it was built and is what a person from Bury is known as .
    Trevor told me lots about the bike but had no photos of it and told me to try and contact John Banks which I managed to do and had a good long chat on the phone.
    I now know what the bike is but not what it looked like when it was built.I was then contacted buy Alan Garrett who now lives in New Zealand and is a great mate of John and along with Trevor Kemp helped with the build of the bike in Johns garage in 1965 ,Alan tells me John is a very talented engineer he must of been to build this bike .
    Alan brought the bike from John in the late 1960s and rode it for a number of years and said it was a brilliant bikre to ride and handled very well alot better than the heavier ex works DOT he had before ,Alan also had photos of both sides of the bike and of him riding in the early 70s so I now know what it looked like.
    A bit about the bike it was originally fitted with BSA works Victor forks and alloy tank ,it now has Ceriani forks and the original Husqvarna alloy conical hubs and Dunlop alloy rims which i refurbished and rebuilt and are now fitted ,The original engine was a Villiers 36A with full Alpha crank and the alloy barrel which I was told by Alan is a cut down Greeves Challenger one .
    Have now sorted out the frame,wheels, forks and tank and made a start on the engine .I managed to get a rebuilt 37A engine and the barrel is being rebored and have found a Challenger head which will be cut down to match barrel.
    A few photos of bike when I got it and now plus photos of bike when Alan owned it .
    Will post more as I make more progress .
    Simon

Photos of Burian
    Attached Files

Comment

Some more photos of Alan riding ,rebuilt wheels and results from a Bury st Edmunds trial in 1966 with John Banks on Burian ,Dave Bickers on CZ and Freddie Mayes was also riding but retired , Trevor Andrews was in results on Tiger cub.
      Attached Files

Comment

Great job, Simon. Thanks for re-posting.

Comment

Thanks John , don't know how many members look at BSA Otter site.
          Simon

Comment

Excellent Simon; what a rare find, and with provenance too! I have been noting developments in OBM!

Regards. Ian C.

Comment

Hi Ian , bit of a gamble when I brought it but it paid off .I will update OBM as bike takes shape .I have been asked by John Banks to keep him up to date with progress and photos . Hopefully be able to ride in the Somerton 2 day trial at Priddy next year on the Burian and there might be a article and test in one of the classic bike magazines in the future .
              All the best Simon

Comment

Nice looking bike Simon, good detective work

Comment

That is a real result Simon; well done!

Ian C.

Comment

Another Fantastic job being done there Simon, in your usual first class standard, hope you can get to the Pearce Simon Reunion at Old Ibsly Nr Ringwood next Monday the 6th of Sept we will have a GRA stand for bits by the stage , it as always will have a great attendance of Ex Works Riders and everyone connected to the off road sporting scene, well worth attending at the Village Hall OLD IBSLY just off the Ringwood/ Fordingbridge road from 11am on

Comment

Hi Dick ,thanks for that trying to keep bike as original as possible, won't be able to make Pearce Simon reunion as away on holiday all next week .
                      Simon

Comment

Simon, you have PM'd me asking for a post to be approved. You didn't specify which post or what it was about, and in fact it appears that you've now deleted it.. Please clarify.

Colin
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Set you a pm Colin

Comment

Got a bit done on the Burian ,engine all up together barrel rebored head cut down to match and Electex world ignition fitted ,engine in frame now to sort out exhaust .
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good job Simon!

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
                              X