1960 Scottish TDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Scottish TDS

Just starting to get to grips with my Scottish TDS 1960, frame number 61/1575. Some photos already published in a new members posting. Can someone help with details of what the seat mounting arrangement needs to be such that I can fit a Universal narrow trails seat or Universal scrambles seat as soon on the Villiers Services web site. The rear mudguard that came with the bike fouls on the rear frame cross member, which is probably an addition and something I have not seen photos of other TDSs. I believe the seat mounting bracket is missing; can someone advise who makes these please. Once I have the seat/rear mudguard fixed I plan to sort the exhaust, does not fit well round the frame and rear suspension. Probably replace the with one shorter in length (for long swing arm which I believe this TDS is) as advertised on the Armour Products web site. The front mudguard stay is different to others seen in photos and will either require modification so as to not foul the exhaust pipe for be replaced with one as advertised by Parkwood Products and then cut the front mudguard to fit. Finally can someone help with details of the front mudguard mounting brackets that are welded to the forks. A details drawing would be useful. Thanks in advance Terry
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Terry
    I already offered by responding to your original post, have you not seen it?
    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Ian, I did see it and now that I have more time I expect that I will take up your offer of photos of your bike but this sections feels more appropriate for the ongoing restoration
      Apparently there were more responses than yours to original post in 'new members' but I cant see them. If you can send me photos of how your seat, exhaust and rear mudguard fits into your bike I would much appreciate it. Thanks Terry

Comment

Terry. You can get the correct 'D' section rear mudguard, and correct front mudguard from Villiers Services. Check out the list of suppliers of parts in 'Leading Link'. For example, ask Adrian Dickerson about mudguard brackets. You can get a parts list (essential) for your model; check out the listings in 'Leading Link', and don't weld anything to your forks or frame. Braze only, as the factory did. The forks are made from Renolds 531 chrome moly tubing, which won't thank you for welding brackets to them. The offside top shock bolt is extra long, with a spacer, for the exhaust mounting. There is a lot of info already available to you, you just have to look for it.

Ian C.

Comment

Terry
          Here are some pics of mine to be going on with. Have tried to show the missing bracket for seat and mudguard which is brazed (?) onto the frame. The front mounting for the seat as it was when I got the bike is wrong as it had a speedway/grass track seat fitted. Got the new seat from TDS and the front seat bracket from Parkway. Also showing the correct silencer for the TD/TDS model with the longer swinging arm. You can see that the bracket that mounts yours to the top shock mount is incorrect. I have tried to show also the original front mudguard and bracket which seem to suit a smaller wheel. Got new mudguard from Villiers Services and the bracket fro Adrian Dickerson. Hope that's ok to be going on with. Just shout for any more info.
          Attached Files
          Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Ian. Thanks your help, information and photos. I will study both in the garage and source the parts I need. I will need some help with brazing but this is probably something I can sort locally.
            Regards Terry

Comment

This is the seat on mine fixed at the back as Terry's. I no longer have the bike but do have the seat if you want it send me a message on hear
              Attached Files

Comment

The front full loop mudguard bracket you have is for an earlier model, and incorrect for yours. That would be why the exhaust hits it, I expect. A.D. can sort you out the correct one. The brackets on the fork legs which it bolts to are double sided; that is they protrude both sides of the fork legs, with a hole each side. The one in your photo has been broken off. A.D. or maybe Duncan at Parkwood could help with those. They need brazing on. Everything on Greeves frames and forks, with the exception of engine cradles, were bronze welded.

Ian C.

Comment

my scottish was fitted with a 400 x 18 rear tyre as specified but the new tyres are too big changed it to a 3:50 x18 and solved the problem the new tyres are bigger in width and causes a problem

Comment

Working...
                  X