Little Jimmy.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Jimmy.........

So I picked up another abandoned project, 1956 ish James K7 not a Commando I suspect but probably started out as Cotswold? Anyhoo, previous owner had bought all the right bits, but never got around to putting it together. He is a talented engineer, however, and fabricated the Anglian style exhaust from stainless and ali sheet, also footrest hangers and rear brake pedal.

Long story short, Villiers 8E with period Ajax Pearson barrel and head, bored to 66mm (246cc), I used a modified 32A piston (shortened skirt by 10mm, matched transfer ports). 9E clutch conversion supplied by Paul Powell (Cotton Services), Electrexworld ignition.
    I fitted Suzuki GN125 fork legs from AJS Andover via Ebay, using Ceriani (allegedly) yokes Standard 5" BHC hubs laced to alloy rims (already done), the NJB rear shocks were in good order but 20mm too short with the new slightly longer forks so I extended them by welding on the bottom mounting eyes from scrap pair, which restored the correct geometry and saved me £100 + for a new pair!
    It came with a battered TY175 tank which I managed to get back to usable condition, coach enamel paint courtesy of Craftmaster, Crimson Lake a reasonable match for the original James colour.
    I have yet to ride it, other than round the garden, (she still won't let me try it over the rockery) but had to fit a 1.5mm thick head gasket to drop the compression ratio, it was over 10:1 and felt / ran like it! now a sensible (for trials) 7.49:1.

It's nice and light, as befits an aging arthritic, so looking forward to giving it a go
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Hi mine from many years ago.
    Still being used in Qld (Aus) Trials.
    James Captain roadster frame. 30 Quid 6E with 3 speed gearbox. 100 quid. Pulled like a Fergy Tractor.
    Head shaved, Took a mill off ? dropped base barrel gasket. Made up full circle but welding M6 nut to bob weight. Alloy blocks made to fit, Allen bolted and epoxy-ed on, then machined.
    Original tank, and forks. Stay from head to frame. Frame tweeked to Bill Lomas works 56 bike, wheel base. Exhaust pipe filled with sand. Compact, plugged with wooden plug, heated with Oxy and bent.
    Broke and welded many parts. I cut the Tank badge out a piece of card. How, I don't remember, but would have used a Stanley knife. Cut a round disk to fit original tank rubber. Sprayed through template.
    Rode in Aussie Classic Titles. Many told me the problem with the James frame. No Good.
    They were very quiet, when I had a good day, and beat them all, to pull a Bronze medal.

whitehillbilly
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by whitehillbillies; 11/08/2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's virtually the same bike! proper job, thanks for posting, Whitehillbilly,
      Encouraging that you had some good results on it, but then with trials its more about the rider than the bike.
      Mine had those forks with it but they're absolutely knackered, collapsed springs and all. The weak point on the frame was lack of bracing from the top tube to the seat tube, previous owner had fabricated a substantial bolt in brace to strengthen it.
      In the box of bits it came in was the original cast iron barrel and head and a brand new +040 piston. trouble is the bore is a worn +070! It also has the 3 speed box, so maybe is a 6E? I don't know the difference tbh, It has cost me more than 130 quid though..........

Comment

Hi Jeff.
        Some may knock us, but how many trials bikes of this era, where built out of Bits ? Built and ridden.
        I often see on this sites, comments of that's not right, didn't have that, not registered as, OverPriced........
        But at the end of the day, does it really matter ???? As long as you are out riding them, and having a bit of fun, Being Trials, scramblers or road bikes.
        6E had 'flying wing' on outer case.
        Mine pulled like no other Villiers at the time. In fact at one trial, was asked if I could remove the barrel, on loan for at week to measure everything.
        Came back as 'stock STD' Guess I fluked evething spot on.......
        As said, I hammered my James Captain frame. It never bent or twisted.
        'O' ring on spun alloy cover, Old tube covering air cleaner. Never had water issue.
        Talked to local old school engineer. I had an Impossible idea, which he then made.
        We made up two half brass retainers. Slipped on 'O' ring on to front fork.
        Two half brass retainers over the 'O' ring , held on place by original fork seal screw sleeve.

whitehillbilly

Comment

I couldn't agree more, competition bikes especially were modified as soon as they left the show room, to suit the rider. Or road bikes modded in sheds to give the rider a chance to compete. For me its about function rather than form, if it works, its right!
          This little bike will give me a lot of fun, (building it already has actually) the days of taking it seriously are long gone. It really doesn't matter to me if others have an issue with it, it's mine
          I had to modify both primary chain cases to fit the upgraded clutch, and took the opportunity to grind off the rest of the Villiers logo but I think it did have the flying wing.

I haven't the skills to engineer a fix to the original forks, but the Suzuki legs were £94 and were brand new.!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X