Not a Greeves, but similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Greeves, but similar

Nearly finished my second AJS 37A-T, it was an abandoned project, miles away from standard but had some nice bits and the engine had been overhauled with receipts for parts and a gearbox o/haul to prove. (from 2009, but it was obvious it had never been run) I stripped it anyway, (Villiers 37A), just as well, the crankcases had been poorly repaired and would never have been gas tight, and the thread on the crankshaft was stripped! it had been rebuilt with old used oil seals too! .
    On the plus side the gearbox really had been overhauled, clutch plates were new, as was the piston and bore, nicely oiled. The wheels had been rebuilt, Stormer rear hub and BHC lightweight, I think, (with gold rims, eek!) and I've fitted IRC tyres.

Simon at Nametab sorted the crank and supplied replacement crankcases. its running standard points ignition at the moment as it came with a VS rewound coil, condenser is mounted externally. It started readily and runs ok, though other than around the garden I can't ride it, obviously.
    Luckily Bultaco Pursang fork springs work well in MP forks, (for my considerable weight anyway) as the originals were shot and are relatively cheap.

I had to fabricate a few bits, brake pedal, footrests, exhaust system plus loads of small bits and pieces, all part of the fun, only about 100 of these bikes were built in 1967-8 so spare cycle parts are non existent, but I'm not worried about originality, my other one is almost original, but they'll both be ridden in trials.

The pic of both bikes together was when I first got it rolling, few bits modded since then it'll be a process of continuous improvement once I can ride it in earnest.

Jeff
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Looking very trick, Jeff!

Comment

Ah the AJS 37A-T a last ditch attempt by Norton Villiers to stay in the trials bike market. By then the 4 speed Bultaco had appeared so the dated 37A was doomed from the start. I remember local dealer Andy Lee having one as a demonstrator and encouraging riders at local club trials to try it out. Andy being the forever sales man was trying to play on the fact that it was ideal for the clubman rider who just wanted to do the closed to club trials or the novice to get experience, and he could do a good deal on it. It was also at the point where Villiers stopped selling the 37A engine to other manufacturers like Greeves.
      He did actually sell it to a local clubman novice who I remember crashing and banging his way around the sections. Andy did not get any awards on it either, not that he was anyway a trials rider.
      More about the 37A-T here http://www.bsaotter.com/1966_a_villi_good_year__.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/03/2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Its more 'bling' than trick, Ian !

Dead right, John, it was way outclassed by the 'Spanish invasion' at the time, but I've had my first one since 2005, ridden it a lot in pre 67 events and had some reasonable results. Its good in mud and the nadgery bits (short wheelbase) but needs a fortnights notice if you want to go up anything big...…..thats probably down to the heavy flywheel and the iron barrel ( which weighs 7 Kg, incidentally.)
        Decent rear shocks modern tyres and time spent with set up helps.
        A mate rode one in the SSDT back in the day, but it was fitted with a Greeves alloy barrel and Stormer wheels and forks!

this was how it looked when I bought it...
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Very rare bike Jeff, looks like there are only 10 left (from the article on bsaotter) "The myth is that there are only 10 of these machines still in existence, but considering the amount that were stockpiled unsold, there have got to be more frames somewhere? Or were they just cut up?"
          And you have two of them
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/03/2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I've only seen 2 others, both at (different) shows, but since I've had mine I've never seen another being used in a trial. There was a chap using one in the south east centre back in the late 80s / early 90s when everyone else was on Yamaha TY Mono's, He rode intermediate level and did ok.
            There must be more out there, laying in sheds somewhere, shame really, with a few sensible mods its a capable little bike, certainly as good as other British offerings of that era. Should be really, other than the frame it shares a lot of components wih them!

Comment

Working...
            X