Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wessex Project

LOL.

Diamond in the rough...another Greeves addition. HMM...know the feeling?

Last year this time we only had 1...now 3. Just got done with the MCS frame off....just can't stand not having a rescue aboard.

Haven't named her or picked her up yet...but it will come to me

Hubby hasn't quite got his head around the fact that this one is all mine

Well, to be completely honest we had 2 dirtbikes period (and a Lambretta, and a KZ1000)...now have 2 modern Hondas, 1 classic Honda, 1 vintage Honda, and 3 Greeves= 7 dirtbikes The disease has reached inconceiveable proportions!

Have a good one all!
    Tammy in KY
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tammyanddaveky; 26/01/2011, 09:31 PM.

Things that make you go UGGGH!

Good am all!

Just had to share these with you!

I hope you have had your coffee and are not weak at the stomach!

The piston still soaking in kreep oil with pressure on it...a mess, what little I can see of piston...pitted like heck! BUT scored on ebay got a 32A jug and piston.

When I pulled the intake manifold off...yikes, vermon stash of seeds...some critter wintered in it LOL

The cover over the points leaked and all inside rusted like crazy...have extras from Eleanor

The right case...well when pulled was filled to the brim with rust, dirt and some yet to be identified substance...personally I want to culture it

Fortunately for me there was still oil in the clutch side...those look great.

Tank with gas still...interesting what it turns to, think there was still a hint of benol

BOY can I pick em or what? Even better and more sweet when she roars to life....Knock on wood!

Gotta head to work, but just had to share
    Have a good one,
    Tammy
    Attached Files

Comment

Where's she been? Bottom of the sea?!
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Collin!

..LOL! Close...outside sitting for at least 10 yrs in WY weather, snow, rain, you name it she was exposed to it...poor dear!

We had been told she sat with the carb on her all that time...but doesn't appear to be the case.

I feel just horrible for her, amazingly enough most rust just surface rust on outside, bolts etc move freely with some light kreep oil....that I wasn't expecting, so a pleasant bonus.....with this gal, I will take any positive I can get...LOL.

I am truly hoping the crank is okay under that piston, if the piston was going to pit and get stuck....best position to do it in, did so in a way that the crank was sealed....so am keeping my fingers crossed!!

I also scored a comp. release cable (needs rebuilt but no biggie), lever, and unit that plugs into the head...very exciting....

NOW...how's that for putting the cart before the horse???

You know me...ever the optomist! I am still hoping for a miracle that I can pull her together for the Mid OH Vintage Fest the end of July....a miracle is exactly what it will take I beleive!

Just glad the ole gal is getting some much needed and deserved attention after all the years of neglect!

I was also told she was running when she was parked, so that too is a bonus!

Have a good one!

Tammy

Comment

Oh yes...forgot...I named the ole gal...

Grizzelda....Grizzy for short.

Just hit me...about the time I opened the Right case...

Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Where's she been? Bottom of the sea?!
            Hi Colin,

Same place the prototype came from!

Kenny

Comment

There doesn't seem to be anything between "bottom of the sea" storage conditions and the so-called dry Arizona desert conditions. The US imports that I've seen resemble an engine being shot blasted with all the covers off.

Druid

Comment

Hey all!

Just a quick update...it didn't get any better the farther into her we got.

I went out everyday with the Kreep Oil and doused her head to toe!

In the end, had to torch the piston out.

About the only thing salvageable on this gal will be the clutch and tranny...feel lucky there...all looks golden. I did get a barrel and piston, and believe it or not...that old barrel could be bored 2 over and I think it would work fine.

A few more blessings.....back swing arm like butter! Bolt out and back in smoothe....seems the guy took care to grease most all of the chasey...so she is in good shape there too....

Now...got the front end apart, as I said went smooth..all lubed nicely. However....as we disassembled the forks and top collar...I was in place and got the forks (had removed the bottom loop)...got them as they came apart....I was flipping and flopping them around for inspection...turned them upsided down...

And the nastiest foulest black slimey goop roared outta there...all over me, and the shop floor. It was a dark powder mixed in with vile smelling liquid.
                I was not ready for that...soo cleaned up the shop floor with kerosene...took the forks outside with a rubber mallet and gave them a good pounding.....

Couldn't figure out what the heck it was or how it got in a closed and seemingly well greased area....then there it was...BIG as day...about a 3 inch long crack in the inner side of the left fork. POOR GAL!

Dad and Dave keep trying to convince me that a braze job will fix it....I am truly convinced this is just a "temp" fix job.

I keep thinking that the forks twist and turn with the action of the bike, not to mention the up and down....the general function of a front fork is one of high demand and I don't like a "weak" point in that area.

Yeah...yeah, I know..most folks say that once brazed or welded something is stronger....but I am just not sure.

We did get set up with air tools, huge air compressor and a media blasting cabinet....got some glass bead media and some pecan shell media...both rated for softer metals prone to pitting.

SOOO all I need is....to get the petrified crank out, then replace everyting but the clutch and tranny ( which shifts nice and smooth), bead blast the entire bike, treat the tank( Kreme kit to remove rust and reline)...and get rid of a medium size ding on it.....paint, get tires.....hmmm, oh yes...have the speedo checked out....thank goodness it's a smiths...find a bulb for the headlight...mine is glass and intact....HOWEVER>>LOL, it's a GE

Sooo though I fell good about where I am with her, we do have another major project just coming to a close...well it has been closing for several months if you know what I mean...the ole, got this taken care of so that the other problem you were complete unaware of can now be seen or heard.....this is gonna be a long road...I am sure you all can relate!

GOOD thing Greeves Days 2012 is a year away!

Thanks for listening, all in all...could be so much worse I think.

Not sure if I mentioned..I have named her..."Grizzelda, Grizzy" for short.

Have a good one!

Please feel free to share your takes/ideas on the brazing of the fork crack.

Rambeling Tammy in KY

Comment

Good am all!

Just another quick update....

Dave did the brazing on the L fork, came out fabulous. Gonna coat the inside of the forks with a rust treatment, it neutralizes rust and stops further rusting.

Got all parts and frame glass bead blasted....what a novel invention. sure beats the hand sandig for weeks we did with the MCS!

I used a etched primer, doesn't need sanded and was suggested by the gentleman tha painted Eleanor.

Got another barrel and piston, standard sizes....looks good!

Got quite the list for Frank and Matt.

I also am placing an order with NV for some items.

Gonna get her painted this week, get tires and shocks....I want a rolling chassie and all little odds and ends ready to go....that way easier to move ole Grizzy around.

Will be my first paint job, got a friend that has a body shop, restores old cars....he gave me a list of equipment to get. Got the HUGE air compressor and built the painting booth in the shop this weekend.

I am sooo excited....can't wait. Good thing about paint, if ya mess up....just blast and start over

I am working hard to have her ready for MIDOH Vintage Motorcycle Days...for the show and some vintage trial competetion.

I need to get started learning on the vintage trials, afterall Greeves Day 2012 is on it's way...tough competetion out there .

I will be uploading some pictures soon.

Thanks all and have a good one!

Tammy

Comment

Tammy, good luck with the spraying! Check the flow rate for the paint and get as near to it as you can. Spray thin coats to avoid runs, keep the gun moving as close to the recommended distance from the job as you can. That means some fancy footwork, don't just stand and twist!

Comment

Hi Brain

Thanks for the adivce, this is the BEST site!

I will wear my rollerskats to paint...LOL, now there's something that falls under the category of "Not enough insurance in the world to cover that!"

Got the color off the site...the Essex Gray

Take care and thanks again!

Tammy

Comment

Tammy, roller skates, air line, paint......Oh dear! I'm trying to emphasize the need to keep the gun at the right distance from the work. Over time you will develop a kind of arm-swing movement that does the same, but that's difficult if you have a bad shoulder. Try your paint and spray kit on some scrap or not too important parts before you plunge into the major components to give you more confidence. Best of luck!

Comment

Hi Brian!

I can't tank you enough for the tips and advice, I sincerely appreciate it!

Got delayed...well, decided to spend the weekend trail riding...

Gonna get the paint this weekend.

We got a booth built, did the final blasting on the frame and used it to primer the frame...hung it from the rafters and down into the booth.

Getting paint this weekend and gonna start painting Sunday.

I will practice on some scrap as you advised. I am very excited!

Got all the needed engine parts coming from Frank, got the tank being repaired...soon will get the shocks and seat padding on the way.

Got the headlight working, and got a complete taillight assembly, including and nice polished aluminum mounting piece...got the cat face.

The tailiight is Lucas...the headlight bulb is GE...Yikes, but on the lookout for a Lucas bulb.

Thanks again Brian, you are the best.

I will update after the painting is finished!

Have a good one!
                          Tamms

Comment

update with photos

Grizzy is comin' along!

Got all the engine parts and what couldn't be saved....

Found a small bit of the original paint under the tank, it was a "hammer" finish is gray.

Only hammer finish I could find was in a spray can, paint experts stumped to how they did it "back then"..we compensated with a very good primer and clear coat....I like it, though it's very hard to work with, to get a hmmm, ..popping contrast in the colors for the hammered look it has to go on pretty thick, and even then you don't get a uniform or consistant look...

I opted for the settle hammer, looks like a fabulous gray from far, only when you get up close do you notice the hammer finish.

Found an awesome tail light, Lucas with the cat face but a fantastic polished aluminum fender mount for it, with the license plate light under the cat face...not sure I got a good picture of it..

Keeping the villiers s25/6 carb, got gasket kit, new jets, float and slide...just in case.

POOR Dave...we did some light bondo on the tank, it dried and looked smoothe...so hung it and primered it...it slipped off the wire and not only managed to tear Daves shin open...qutie the gash and gore....but landed seat side down and got a new ding in her.....Back to the bondo board...

Now...the original tank paint a blue...I believe, remnants of it on the bottom of the tank...not the moreland blue...I went with a stunning electric blue...matches the depth of the paint on the frame....

Got used shocks, blasted them, primered and painted, all cases and internals cleaned...can't believe what glass bead blasting did for the magneto...looks new.

Next weekend clear coat cured and time to reassemble...then the true craziness begins!

I think she will be stunning...can't wait to get the tank painted so I can post some pictures....

Not gone completely bonkers quite yet...but well on our way!

Another against the grain...the headlight is a Bates, era correct jap make, 6 volt...hard to find. She looks great and works...eventually I will replace it with a Lucas...but for now, staying with it.

Thanks guys...have a good one!

Rambeling Tammy
                            Attached Files

Comment

Grizzy all done and anew!

Good am all!

Finally....Grizzy LIVES!

I LOVE this bike...a sweetheart!

I did the lap of History on her at Vintage Days...Got her wide open in 4th and heard a terrible snap of metal and bang....

Poor gal...the screws on the flywheel had come loose...took out the points and the case...

HOWEVER...got spares off the Ranger...had new points in the shop...still trying to figure out where they came from ..

So she roared back to life for me....with some off and on carb issues..but won't complain a bit!

The seat...well made do with what I had...it's a MXer seat...but sure is comfortable

Thanks for all the support and great advise!!!

Eleanor still has my heart...but she is a screamin meme compared to Grizzy...nice low end and easy handeling.

ODDLY enough... I LOVE the trial's shifter...wouldn't trade it for the world!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X