Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Thumper.

Hi everyone.
    Here are a few early build photos of my next project.
    It is a special which has been built to ride & is not meant to replicate any specific greeves model.
    The doner frame is a 1957s scramble frame, with the later taper bearing h/stock which i have swaged the mainframe tube down to fit onto the earlier bolt on rear section.
    I have modified the engine cradle & footpeg area to accomadate the c15 engine which is quite a snug fit in there, the rear loop is also a new design.
    The forks are mds with the older style link arm, all new bushes, in fact every thing on this bike is new, alloy rims, stainless spokes, seat, shocks, powdered hubs etc. the h/bars are courtesy of adrian dickerson.
    The paint is not moorland blue by choice although the colour is a lot darker than pictures show.
    I am hoping to finish by mid feb sort out any problems before the start of the season, (fingers crossed) dave
    Attached Files

terry weedy c 15

If you want the best google terry weedy he sells parts for scrambes and trals c15 engines

Comment

Project Thumper.

Hi Dave,

Does this mean it's a 'Grumper' then?! Whatever you decide to call it, it's looking really good mate, well done!

I for one am very impressed and looking forward to seeing the finished job-very neat indeed. Best of luck with the rest of the build Dave and thanks for posting the pics for us all to see.

Respect!

Brian.

Comment

Terry Weedy-Avery Products.

Thanks for the tip Big Geoff, and here's a direct link to TW's website; http://www.terryweedy.com/

Some interesting stuff on there, including some handy looking replacement kickstarters for Villiers; http://www.terryweedy.com/classic-kickstarts.html

Brian.

Comment

Project.

Hi. I'm impressed. Very professional job. I like the engine cradle.
          Peter R.

Comment

GreeBSA

Dave

Nice piece of engineering. Engine cradle is very much in keeping with Greeves principles - kind of Challengeresque.

Look forward to seeing the finished bike.

Phil

Comment

My, that does look nice. Are you able to get the c15 oil tank in ok?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

project thumper.

Hi everyone.
                Thanks chaps, its all coming together very nicely now, but i`m trying to build it so that it is clean & functional, i don`t want to end up with a bike like my griffon, i spent a fortune on that & now its to nice to ride.
                I am going to race this bike hard & enjoy it.
                In answer to your question colin, yes i did build the c15 tank into it & it fitted perfectly into the frame recess by the o/s s/absorber, but i had to sacrifice it for the space to put my race plates.
                I know a lot of greeves bikes do mount the plates on the rear frame loop, but i think that spoils that shape of the bike & prefer them under the seat area.
                I will probably leave the oil tank untill last & then make a oil tank/air filter unit that looks right in the space i have left.
                but thanks for your interest everyone & if anybody has any input, then it is most welcome. dave.

Comment

Hi David and congrats on a really functional looking rolling chassis, you soon got the bars sorted and fitted, it certainly spans the fifties decade. I hope the intention is to put a Pre60 engine in to complement it, so that it can run in this class era. I'd love to see it in action.
                  With regard to the oil tank, the popular solution on Pre65 machines is to run with oil in frame, which would save you from adding some kind of additional carbuncle. Although being a two stroke addict, I'm not quite sure where you would start!
                  Good luck and all power to your elbow, I look forward to seeing you on the start line, somewhere.

Comment

Speaking as one who has enjoyed playing in both camps - 2 and 4 stroke - I doubt that the Greeves frame gives opportunity to contain a viable quantity of oil for a 4 stroke engine, fellas. I cannot agree more that the best target to aim for would be the Pre-60 Class, however not sure on that count, too, whether oil-in-frame would be strictly correct for the era (?)
                    My congratulations, too, on progress thus far with scrambler.

retiredallrounder

Comment

Didn't the C15 Sports Star first come out in 1960?
                      Might it be pushing things a bit to get one into pre '60?
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I believe the Sports Star came out in 1961, Colin. The production C15S Scrambler was offered to the public from the middle of the 1959 season, following on from immediate works successes by the likes of Jeff Smith and Arthur Lampkin.

Comment

hi chaps.
                          Sorry to have not replied, probs with computer.
                          Right from the start the bike was going to be a pre 60 as i have already got a bsa c25 for pre 65 & the griff for the pre 74, so that is the reasoning behind it.
                          The amca classic rule book says that all c15 dizzy engines are pre 60 complient irrelative of year, as are c25 engines pre 65 complient. because the c15 dizzy was just pre 60 you are allowed to use any post dated engine because the design was concurrent up until the side points model.
                          On the point of oil in frame, its a non starter i`m afraid as the oil capacity is a minimium of five pints & if anyone can squeeze that into the old greeves frame, call me because i can get work for you as a magician!!!.
                          If you don`t have the oil tank capacity your oil gets to hot & burnt oil has the lubricating qualities of sand, so its going to have a period looking tank tucked in there somewhere.
                          I have just fitted a tasty little cam, bored it & fitted elec ignition, a few other tweeks & the motor is ready, its going to be running on methanol which i`m ( hoping ) will give it some proper grunt, thanks for the interest lads, i`ll keep you posted. dave.

Comment

Here's a nice C15 special put together by Derek Pickard a few years back.
                            Attached Files
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Derek Pickard's GreeBsa.

Nice pic Colin.

A while back I posted some other pics of Derek's Greebsa as a 'Non-Greeves Engines' thread, showing it in both it's original form (as in the pic you posted above) when it was known as 'Red', and following Derek's recent smashing restoration and the change to BRG. There is also a link to a YouTube video of Derek starting the bike up! I've merged the post into this one and deleted the original thread-see below;

Brian.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In a recent post in relation to a query about a Greeves BSA C15 engined scrambler being built by forum member Dave Higgins, Phil Hyde mentioned some details about Derek Pickard.

Derek will be well known to Greeves enthusiasts as the author of the the superb 'British 250 racer, the definitive account of the development of the Silverstone (see pic 3 below.) Although now sadly long out of print, the occasional copy does come up on EBay/Amazon etc, and I would highly recommend tracking down a copy if you can.

A member of the GRA from the very early days, Derek has built many superb bikes, amongst them this splendid BSA B40 engined Greeves special.

I'm very grateful to forum member rarpos7 (Ross) for sending me these pics some time ago, when Derek and the bike came up in conversation in an email. Ross explained to me that Derek built the bike many years ago, and the first pic shows the bike in it's first incarnation, when it aquired the name 'Red'. The second pic shows the bike as it is today, following an extensive and painstaking rebuild by Derek, and a change of colour ('Hunting Green' perhaps?).

There is also a clip on YouTube of Derek starting the bike up! Here's the link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBCNnmleQI

Sounds (and looks) just great doesn't it!

Brian.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/01/2011, 11:13 PM. Reason: Posts Merged.

Comment

Working...
                              X