• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Work.
    Looking forward to the finished bike.

whitehillbilly

Comment

cheers and me too. I feel lucky to have found it and have what is needed to make the missing chassis parts and patch it up.

Comment

And clearly the Skill to do it! I am loving the progress you are making and every picture tells a story.
        Hat well & truly doffed

Colin

Comment

Thanks gents, I truly appreciate the kind words. The truck handed off a box from Richard Deal containing the much anticipated engine cradle, fold foot pegs and brake pedal.

Before that happened I used my 47 piece bearing press kit (also known as socket set) to remove the plastic bushings from the front torque arm. They were still pretty tight.

Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Took out the extra bend that probably happened while fixing a flat.

I bolted in the engine cradle with little trouble. Sorry the bike is inverted. I would like to mention the cradle is a work of art.

I simple handed the engine cradle to the frame and it went right into place which made my decision to use it as a fixture an easy one!

Since the swinging arm lugs were complete I wanted to get them out of the frame in tact. I use a horribly dangerous electric grinder with an open cutting wheel to cut the tubes away from the lugs and I beat the odds again,

Lugs are recovered and cleaned up. I may just sit and look at it for a while and let it come to me. I believe there is another lug for the brake pedal and want to make that next.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Great job, thanks for posting, great photos

Comment

I went ahead and fit my reproduction parts in and welded/brazed it up. Before cutting the main tube I sent a camera in to see if there was any internal reinforcement. The oval to the right is the headstock portion of the beam. It seems there may be a small piece brazed in to keep the aluminum from flooding in during the casting process.

I figured I would start with getting the main tube splice behind me. I made a backup tube 10" long and TIG the splice and plug welds. Ill leave the work I did and not grind the welds away.
              The fitting and brazing went well also, I did pretty well but had to go back and clean it up a bit. It's interesting that the rear of the frame is sealed with no vent holes.

I started with things I thought would be easy but got nervous and put too much bronze in.

The main lugs came out good.

There is one more piece of furniture on the left side, I believe it's a chain roller mount.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

A work of art, thanks for the progress pictures.

Comment

Some of us have sheds to work in, Others have workshops.
                  Envious of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
                    Some of us have sheds to work in, Others have workshops.
                    Envious of yours.
                    Thanks for the kind words. I am lucky to have a great shop that helps me do some things "the easy way" but I also have to sweep a big floor.

I think I have this thing going the right way. I finished/cleaned up some of the brasing work I was able to insert the swinging arm stud with little trouble.

I have read than these machines were modular and different models used different combinations of frame components to achieve the desired geometry. The cradle and brake pedal I have is for a TFS Scottish fits my frame and works with my rod operated rear brake. I got lucky there!

I am interested to know what difference exist between the Scottish models and Anglian. The TFS has a long history preceding the Anglian but used the 32A. motor. Was the Anglian more of a "pure trials" bike? Here is my rear wheel brake combo. I think the rim will clean up nicely.

Thanks for your advise and words of support.

Comment

I got to the wheels over the past few days and both the rims are terribly bent but the hubs, seals and bearings are in great shape and 54 years old.

Over the past year my local plating shop has given up offering industrial chrome which I had considered for the rear sprocket, engine cradle and brake pedal so those will be painted for now. I have it broken down completely and I am happy that it's now time to do some finishing.

Comment

You may care to look into vaccum metalising https://www.vmclimited.co.uk/ I am sure there are companies in the USA who can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                          You may care to look into vaccum metalising https://www.vmclimited.co.uk/ I am sure there are companies in the USA who can do this.
                          I hadn't heard of that process before. Thanks for that tidbit though I am looking for something more industrial in this case. I may go with zinc for the sprocket/brake pedal along with the bolts.

Comment

Zinc will be fine for sprocket/brake pedal and bolts

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                              Zinc will be fine for sprocket/brake pedal and bolts
                              And the cradle should be same as frame?

Comment

Working...
                              X