24 TGSB Anglian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 TGSB Anglian

I found an Anglian that had had been badly altered to fit a Honda engine and had nothing of the main frame below the swing arm pivot. The swing arm, wheels, fork and handlebars all in place with some minor damage. My plan is to make proper repairs to the parts that need metal work, duplicate original handlebar, acquire original engine cradle and brake parts and save for a new engine from Villers services.

I have the wrong things removed and am now moving forward. These photos will get you caught up.
    As found.

CL ad by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

The main tube is badly damaged and reproducing the bend will be rewarding but may take a few tries.

I cut away the added material so I can use the original tube for reference,

If you have an Anglian frame and are willing to take some frame measurements please speak up. Thanks for looking

After so much cutting and grinding I am happy to make some pieces. I didn't have the correct radius dies so I chose a smaller die in both cases than specified and added a few extra degrees to allow me to easily unbend to get correct angle and good bend radius. It usually takes me a couple tries (sometimes half a dozen).

Pasted to frame.

My bend setup

I also bent a main frame. The result was not as good as I got a little flattening of the outside. I will need to use a mandrel to approach original bend quality.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

You are doing good work keep us updated on progress
      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by garybam4711 View Post
        You are doing good work keep us updated on progress
        Gary
        Thank you.

I did make more progress today. I was going to leave things alone with my first main tube attempt but after a few measurements I realized I had enough material to give it another go so I set the bender up for a mandrel.

I had two mandrels in the 24X.058 size so I polished one down to fit the 16 gauge and bent a piece that would pass inspection on the first try. Happy with the progress, I went ahead and cut and mitered the lower end of the tube. Thanks for looking.

My next step will be to fixture what remains of the main tube also using the head stock and existing cradle mounting tube for reference points.

Comment

I have a bare frame here should you require any dimensions, or pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
            I have a bare frame here should you require any dimensions, or pictures.
            Thank you. It would be great to see how the rear tube is attached to the main tube behind/below engine. Several views would be wonderful!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F5CC1AFB-D3A1-455D-B03B-AB679371B67C.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	82649Click image for larger version

Name:	950201CD-C5E2-4056-BE0B-D05B54407E5F.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	82650

Comment

Frank

Hope these help. Just to say the swing arm tube and the cradle tube have been shortened by 1/2”. This frame is being prepared for a Triumph engine.
                Last edited by Phil Hyde; 04/07/2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Frank

Hope these help. Just to say the swing arm tube and the cradle tube have been shortened by 1/2”. This frame is being prepared for a Triumph engine.
                  Yes very helpful. I see there is a plate gusset and perhaps one above also? Thanks for mentioning the alteration.

Comment

More progress to report. I found the original swinging arm pivot tube to be worn down quite a bit so a new one was made to match factory spec, I was able to find an original engine cradle, brake arm and foot peg assemblies at Greeves LTD and get them heading this way.

I finished disassembly of the forks and found one leg had taken on water at some point and rusted all the way to the paint in a perfect ring at what I assume was the "high water" mark about 50mm from the bottom. It appeared as a crack but was much worse.,

I had the correct tube on the rack so I went ahead and made a replacement fork tube even though I don't have a clear vision on how it will be used.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

wow impressive

Comment

Originally posted by teamferret View Post
                        wow impressive
                        Thank you.

I finished the work on the fork this afternoon. The brazing went well and I reamed the bearing hole before splicing the new part in just below the damper bracket. I machined a piece of tube to press in as a reinforcement, plug welded three holes each side then TIG welded a full penetration. It was that or build a whole new fork.

Last thing was to tack the pieces on to the new main tube. I removed the fender bracket from the original tube, cleaned it up and added it also. Ill braze it up after making the air filter lug.

Comment

Frank

What year is your bike? my fender brackets are inside the rear loop.

Comment

Frank

The year is unknown as the frame has no number. As for the rear fender (mudguard) lugs. They are on the outside. Only one is original however. Can photo if of use

Phil

Comment

Frank

The year is unknown as the frame has no number. As for the rear fender (mudguard) lugs. They are on the outside. Only one is original however. Can photo if of use

Phil
                              I thank you but it's not needed. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X