Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 TGSB Anglian

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 24 TGSB Anglian

    I found an Anglian that had had been badly altered to fit a Honda engine and had nothing of the main frame below the swing arm pivot. The swing arm, wheels, fork and handlebars all in place with some minor damage. My plan is to make proper repairs to the parts that need metal work, duplicate original handlebar, acquire original engine cradle and brake parts and save for a new engine from Villers services.

    I have the wrong things removed and am now moving forward. These photos will get you caught up.
    As found.

    CL ad by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    The main tube is badly damaged and reproducing the bend will be rewarding but may take a few tries.

    I cut away the added material so I can use the original tube for reference,

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    If you have an Anglian frame and are willing to take some frame measurements please speak up. Thanks for looking

  • #2
    After so much cutting and grinding I am happy to make some pieces. I didn't have the correct radius dies so I chose a smaller die in both cases than specified and added a few extra degrees to allow me to easily unbend to get correct angle and good bend radius. It usually takes me a couple tries (sometimes half a dozen).

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    Pasted to frame.

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    My bend setup

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    I also bent a main frame. The result was not as good as I got a little flattening of the outside. I will need to use a mandrel to approach original bend quality.

    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

    Thanks for looking.



    Comment


    • #3
      You are doing good work keep us updated on progress
      Gary

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by garybam4711 View Post
        You are doing good work keep us updated on progress
        Gary
        Thank you.

        I did make more progress today. I was going to leave things alone with my first main tube attempt but after a few measurements I realized I had enough material to give it another go so I set the bender up for a mandrel.

        I had two mandrels in the 24X.058 size so I polished one down to fit the 16 gauge and bent a piece that would pass inspection on the first try. Happy with the progress, I went ahead and cut and mitered the lower end of the tube. Thanks for looking.

        Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

        Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

        My next step will be to fixture what remains of the main tube also using the head stock and existing cradle mounting tube for reference points.


        Comment


        • #5
          I have a bare frame here should you require any dimensions, or pictures.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
            I have a bare frame here should you require any dimensions, or pictures.
            Thank you. It would be great to see how the rear tube is attached to the main tube behind/below engine. Several views would be wonderful!

            Comment


            • #7
              Click image for larger version

Name:	F5CC1AFB-D3A1-455D-B03B-AB679371B67C.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	82649Click image for larger version

Name:	950201CD-C5E2-4056-BE0B-D05B54407E5F.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	82650

              Comment


              • #8
                Frank

                Hope these help. Just to say the swing arm tube and the cradle tube have been shortened by 1/2”. This frame is being prepared for a Triumph engine.
                Last edited by Phil Hyde; 04/07/2020, 07:16 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                  Frank

                  Hope these help. Just to say the swing arm tube and the cradle tube have been shortened by 1/2”. This frame is being prepared for a Triumph engine.
                  Yes very helpful. I see there is a plate gusset and perhaps one above also? Thanks for mentioning the alteration.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    More progress to report. I found the original swinging arm pivot tube to be worn down quite a bit so a new one was made to match factory spec, I was able to find an original engine cradle, brake arm and foot peg assemblies at Greeves LTD and get them heading this way.

                    I finished disassembly of the forks and found one leg had taken on water at some point and rusted all the way to the paint in a perfect ring at what I assume was the "high water" mark about 50mm from the bottom. It appeared as a crack but was much worse.,

                    I had the correct tube on the rack so I went ahead and made a replacement fork tube even though I don't have a clear vision on how it will be used.

                    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

                    Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

                    Thanks for looking.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X