Trail Bike Project Sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Bike Project Sorted

Hi All, just a quick line about my project bike, built from whatever was under the bench and in some cases the scrap bin. It has always been a bit iffy on reliability, bad cold starting, starts perfect when hot but a bit of a pain if left about half an hour. It's on points and external coil under the tank. Where the coil came from I dont know but it looked new. Anyway I had my TES in for a bit of maintenance after a trial and thought why not put the TES coil on my project runabout! I went for a ride yesterday through the lanes near me for about a 15 mile ride and so far so good, so fingers crossed. I went on Ebay looking for exactly the same Bosch coil with 2 terminals and they are only for sale in the States and at this very moment one is winging its way to Kent, so wish me luck. My TES has had the same external coil for 20 years with no problems at all so I know its a gooden...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Looks nice John,was it not worth putting an Electrex World system on! I know it is more expensive, but my God they are reliable

Comment

I am too tight!!!!!

Comment

Nice to hear others are riding their bikes in the winter John

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
          I am too tight!!!!!
          The original points system worked back in the day and with good maintenance should still work ok today. Remember that if an electronic system fails you wont be able to fix it, so a throw away job. With new components, like a new ignition coil, and points the original system will continue to give good service. As for Electrex World systems many have had problems with them, no instructions, and poor customer service
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/12/2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Lots of Wonga! Also I am using Villiers Lighting coils for direct lighting/hooter/stoplight. Dont know how good the lighting coils are on Electrex World but have heard not that good.

Comment

Just been out for another ride to local Classic Bike Cafe Hollyville at West Kingsdown Kent. Bike started first kick, it's got to be that dodgy coil that gave me all that grief.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The coil does not have to be faulty to not work at its best, the dwell angle on the points (the time the points are closed) has to match the coil- I once fitted Bosch (ex Invacar as there were lots in our local scrapyard!) to a 500 Triumph, and had to advance the ignition timing to get it to run properly- I wish I still had one as I would like to try a different coil to one of the two on my ISDT bike to retard the spark to make it more docile. Plugs and coils are duplicated so as to be able to switch if you oil or cook a plug. Peter.

Comment

I do agree Peter a few years ago I ran a Scottish with a similar external coil, it always was lumpy on tickover and bit unpredictable. I changed to a Honda 50 coil with no other alterations and it smoothed it out and gave years of good running. Obviously some sort of mismatch.

Comment

And I have found that 20thou points gap is much better than 15thou which bears out your point about points dwell!

Comment

Just been out on Sunday morning jaunt with my local VMCC West Kent Section for a nice little run round the Kent countryside and ending up in a nice pub. The old Greeves ran well and seems to be cured of of its unreliability issues. Lets hope so!
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                      X