Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IanCordes
    replied
    More pics, this time of the Scottish....
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Leave a comment:

• IanCordes
    started a topic Not Just One, But Two!

Not Just One, But Two!

THIS THREAD WILL CONTINUE FOR THE SAS, I WILL START ANOTHER FOR THE TCS!

To cut a long story short, evolving over several months, I was offered a pair of barn find Greeves, by the son of the owner, who has been deceased some years. They were buried in the corner of a large shed, and apparently took some unearthing. Far from looking for another project(s), in the last year I have sold 4 bikes and my Sprinter lwb race van, in order to cut down on time spent fettling, and to gain space. Get the drift? I had only seen photos, as they were 140 miles away, but what could a chap do? Borrow a mate's trailer, that's what!. Who said the camera never lies? Anyway, I arrived home with a 1959 24SAS and a 1960 24TCS; both matching numbers, with a bit of history, and a V5C for the Scottish. The idea is to oily-rag re-commission them, not full restorations. The Hawkstone may have gone a bit far for that..... The Scottish I am more optimistic of achieving that goal.

The engine, a correct 33A, was out of the Hawkstone, On closer inspection it has a 34A top-end and long-rod crank, the latter having discernable big-end play. Fortunately I had a rebuilt crank on the shelf, so in it has gone, with new bearings, seals as appropriate. Much work to do on the clutch; now awaiting a response from VS to a request for parts. The cycle parts are a bit more of a challenge; watch this space!

The Scottish, as I posted on a previous thread under 'non-Greeves engines', is all matching numbers, but has a Vale-Onslow iron barrel, with a trick ali head from the time, possibly a Hogan, as volunteered by John Wakefield. So far I have been unable to unearth any info about Hogan heads for Villiers engines though, only Bantams.

So far, they are both on their wheels, stripped of unusable bits, mudguards, seats etc, and have been de-greased and pressure-washed. Next up is to take the head & barrel off the TCS to see what lies beneath.

That is the story up to date; more as it pans out.

A few pics.....
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by IanCordes; 02/06/2019, 10:49 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Working...
X