Not Just One, But Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust.

I posted in 'Wanted' for ideas for a road-legal, in terms of decibels, exhaust, as the current megaphone which came with it most definitely would not be! I am not saying I want to put it on the road, but to be able to fire it up at home without falling out with the neighbours would be good! That is some way off yet, for sure, but I am exploring ideas. John W. suggested the Armours high-level Scottish exhaust system. However, 350biker commented that they are very loud. I have heard that too, the reason apparently being that they use no sound deadening material, fibreglass wadding or whatever, relying simply on a perforated baffle tube.

The Scottish project came with that system fitted, although I don't think it is an Armours one. It may even be original, but unlikely, after 59 years. Having cleaned it up sufficient to be cosmetically reasonably presentable and usable, I removed the perforated baffle tube from the tail end of the silencer, with a view to decoking. Inside the silencer are welded a series of 4 round baffles along it's length, with a centre hole just over 1 1/2" diameter, the first being 5" from the silencer outlet. A 6" x 1 1/2" perforated baffle tube fits in, retained by a nut and bolt. This clearly only passes through the first baffle by 1". When I withdrew it some very mucky deadening material fell out. Clearly that can only be inserted into the end 'chamber', through which the baffle tube passes. Is it possible to insert that wadding into your Armours system, 350biker?

Ian

Comment

The original Villiers/Greeves silencer never had fibre glass packing, just relied on baffle plates and tube. I assume Armours have not put the required amount of baffles in theirs

Comment

Just to put in my 4-pennorth, for a truly authentic look, it is possible, of course, to install baffles in the original mega exhaust. Just how effective that may be, remains to be seen (or heard?), but it should overcome the tendency of the mega to hoover up the track dust on the over-run (?) Dear old Frank Conley featured just such a modded Hawkstone in his publication. He is no longer with us, of course, but perhaps Kenny Sykes may have more info?
        Over ……...

Comment

Funny you should say that, John R, because I did wonder, taking it a stage further, if anyone had fabricated a reverse cone, which could be brazed just inside the outlet of the megaphone, from which a tailpipe could lead to a discreetly mounted end can. I don't know what effect that would have on back pressure, and performance......

Cheers

Ian

Comment

This one …………. not a lot else about it is original Hawkstone, but presumably Dick Mann knew what he was about so far as the exhaust efficiency was concerned ………….. ??
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

And I do have, Ian, somewhere in the shed a very rough-looking high-level exhaust for a 9E which has incorporated along its length an old megga. God only knows why? I will email you photos in case it is of any use to you.
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 01/07/2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment

OK John, thanks. Baffles in the existing mega may be a goer, though

Comment

Thanks Ian for a very interesting write-up. I don't think it matters how experienced you are, you can always learn something from other people's articles. It is also rather gratifying to realise other people have met the same problems!

Well done and please keep it up. I think a consoldated version would be just the job for dear old Leading Link!

Rob
                  Last edited by Rob; 02/07/2019, 05:27 PM. Reason: Edited to correct por speeling!

Comment

Excellent thread Ian and thanks for posting. I've not been on the forum for a while and it was a real pleasure catching up and reading your posts. It sounds like you're making fine progress. Of course it's not without a few head scratchers but we all have those. I may not have the technical expertise to help out, but I, and I'm sure many others, will be interested to see how the project(s) develop. Keep on posting.
                    It occurs to me that a project is rarely, if ever, actually finished. Changes are made, perhaps upgrades or repairs are needed if the machine is ridden hard. Which makes me think its time for an update on my griffon project thread...…

Paul

Comment

These threads will rumble on for a long time, that's for sure! I have been working on wheels, tanks and cycle parts. More on those later. The chap I was hoping would straighten my frame parts is unfortunately unable to help, for personal reasons, so it is back to the drawing board, although there is good expertise locally, albeit not specifically on Greeves.

It has been suggested there may be more to the rear wheel mis-alignment issue that just the wear in the fork. As a result, I re-fitted the swinging arm and rear wheel, with the wheel pushed as far forward as it will go in the fork; the part which is unworn; and carefully aligning it on the other adjuster, it is clear that the alignment issue is solely to do with the wear in the fork, as the wheel now stands proudly upright! Thus, it is just a case of finding someone to weld up the worn area, then re-shape the slot in the swinging arm back to original dimensions, as John W. suggested. I am away for a few days, so not much will happen until next week.

It occurred to me that when they are both up and running, it would be good to bring them along to either the Bristol show in February, or the next AGM. Hmm.......

Ian

Comment

It has been a while, but time for an update. The breakthrough was re-acquainting myself with a chap who straightened my racing MZ tanks, whenever I dinged them. It turns out there is not much he cannot do with metal. He is at present re-bodying a Morgan.... He has built vintage truck cabs from scratch, vintage car body panels etc.

He welded and re-machined the swinging arm, which means that the back wheel stands proudly upright once more. The bottom shock mounts were also out of vertical, requiring straightening.

The rear sub frame loop straightened easily.

The front fork loop was more of a challenge. It was not just bent in one plane, but twisted, too. Repair would really involve making a jig, for which a good straight one would have been beneficial in order to take critical measurements. Do-able, but time consuming and expensive. A club member came to the rescue with another loop, nice and straight, with the benefit of recently fitted Metalastic bushes.I will report back once the bushes are correctly pinned.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Next up, in no particular order, was the wear in the cut-out in the front tin hub brake plate anchor arm, which slots over a spacer on the right-hand fork leg. A pretty crude device, wear is bound to take place, and I suspect most which have not already been repaired show signs of wear. I have 4 of them, one on my roadster, one each on the SAS & TCS, a fourth being earmarked for a further project. I have not yet checked the roadster, but the remaining 3 were all badly worn, with the parallel sides of the cut-out no longer parallel by a country mile! Furthermore, the spacer on which it bears also wears; see photos. The slots have been welded and re-machined, along with having new stainless steel spacers turned up.

I forgot to take a 'before' picture of the brake plate, but out of interest, in the 'after' picture is a tin rear hub, which, although not for this project, has also required repair. The problem with that one is the fact that a PO had run it with the sprocket bolts loose (!), elongating the holes. The flange to which the spokes are laced was also out of true. The holes have been welded, the hub spun up in a lathe to true everything up, and now awaits the arrival of a new sprocket to use as a template to re-drill the 5/16" holes.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by IanCordes; 31/08/2019, 12:01 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

The petrol tank, crowning glory of any motorcycle, was once resplendent in it's dull chrome finish. Sadly, this one is no longer so pretty. Still showing it's dull chrome finish, but badly worn through in one place, with dents all over, and rust starting to show through beneath. It had also been repaired quite substantially at the back, and on one of the front mounting lugs, at some point in it's life. To repair it properly the chrome needed to come off, so I took it to Doug Taylor Metal Finishers at Weston-super-Mare for the chrome to be removed. Not a pretty sight when I collected it! It went to my friend Paul, the metal repair man, who pulled the dents out, beating it back into shape. Sadly it will never be good enough to re-chrome, so will be painted silver. In the photos which show both tanks, the Hawkstone is the smaller one.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by IanCordes; 31/08/2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

The project lurches on; slowly. Other stuff has got in the way, and I have been reliant on others for one or two jobs, which have dragged on a bit. The tanks have now been painted, using a dull-chrome effect paint and matt lacquer, professionally done, and a good job! I got him to paint my TE project one at the same time. What else is a dining table for? Norton Commando project on the window sill.....

Parts have been gathered, and just waiting for a couple more to arrive so I can finally do a trial assembly to make sure everything fits and is lined up, before pulling it down to be blasted & painted. I haven't yet decided on who will do that.

I think the front wheel has cleaned up enough not to require a rebuild. It is sound, but cosmetically slightly challenged...... The rear wheel definitely needs new rim & spokes, so once again, I will have to find someone local who will do it. hopefully for sensible money.

Wanting to use as many of the original fasteners as I can, I bit the bullet and ordered a zinc plating kit. This weekend I will attempt to set it all up and trial it on some unimportant parts. Some of the bolts were definitely not original or re-usable. Also, all new Nyloc nuts will be used, but there are enough original bolts etc to hopefully make the effort of refurb'ing them worthwhile.

Ian
                              Attached Files

Comment

There are times when I wished I had never started to write this project up; mostly, every time I log onto the forum and see I have added nothing to the thread for ages! Other things get in the way; work, essential diy indoors, car maintenance, or just seizing the opportunity to ride one of the stable which does actually start and run. Or, I can't be a#sed to brave the rain and go out in that cold shed

However, things have been happening behind the scenes; visiting Stafford, and the VMCC jumble at Shepton Mallet, looking out for that missing part, or sourcing new, collecting items from the VS stand, meeting up with like-minded greeves nuts etc.

A flurry of activity this weekend saw the SAS transformed from a frame & forks to something resembling a motorbike; the first time I have seen it looking more or less like one! It is a trial build, to see what fits and what needs fitting. The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot all sorts of areas which need attention. The wheels are borrowed from the TCS, because they have rubber on the rims, which helped me to set up the new VS-supplied mudguards, as well as the new front mudguard stay, supplied by our own Adrian Dickerson. A fine fit it is too! Now the mudguards are on, I will re-fit the paddle hub wheels in order to check the rear chain run, and fit the after-market chain guard.

2 of the photos show it with the International tank, which is destined for another project. Today it's own tank went on, resplendent in new dull silver finish (it was too much of a challenge to re-chrome) and cleaned up badges. The seat requires work on the brackets, while the chain guard, the original of which was missing when I bought it, is a universal Sammy Miller item which I have had kicking around unused for years.

The 'bars are braced m/x items which have been on the shelf forever, and, whilst not original, will do the job. The exhaust is pinched from the TCS. As I will never scramble this machine, I have a choice of either to build it and just look at it, or sell it, or ride it. To ride it, it needs to go on the road, because my garden is no longer big enough; it is covered in sheds.... . If the exhaust becomes permanent, the TCS will 'benefit' from a new Armours one.

Whilst building it loosely, you will see that, in the main, I have used regular nuts. This is for ease and speed of assembly.They will be replaced with nyloc nuts on final build.

So, over to you! What can you spot that is missing, or needs doing, or, or....? There is one thing which I only spotted today, whilst figuring out the rear brake pedal. There is something missing off the o/s subframe, which appears to have been cut off. My thought is that it relates to the brake actuating arm on the o/s, and was perhaps a short, internally threaded piece of tube, brazed in position, in order to accomodate a 5/16" bsf bolt and locknut, providing an adjustable brake pedal stop. Is that the case? If so, or whatever it is, can anyone post up a photo of what should be there, please?

Thanks
                                Ian
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by IanCordes; 10/12/2019, 09:43 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X