Not Just One, But Two!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust.

I posted in 'Wanted' for ideas for a road-legal, in terms of decibels, exhaust, as the current megaphone which came with it most definitely would not be! I am not saying I want to put it on the road, but to be able to fire it up at home without falling out with the neighbours would be good! That is some way off yet, for sure, but I am exploring ideas. John W. suggested the Armours high-level Scottish exhaust system. However, 350biker commented that they are very loud. I have heard that too, the reason apparently being that they use no sound deadening material, fibreglass wadding or whatever, relying simply on a perforated baffle tube.

The Scottish project came with that system fitted, although I don't think it is an Armours one. It may even be original, but unlikely, after 59 years. Having cleaned it up sufficient to be cosmetically reasonably presentable and usable, I removed the perforated baffle tube from the tail end of the silencer, with a view to decoking. Inside the silencer are welded a series of 4 round baffles along it's length, with a centre hole just over 1 1/2" diameter, the first being 5" from the silencer outlet. A 6" x 1 1/2" perforated baffle tube fits in, retained by a nut and bolt. This clearly only passes through the first baffle by 1". When I withdrew it some very mucky deadening material fell out. Clearly that can only be inserted into the end 'chamber', through which the baffle tube passes. Is it possible to insert that wadding into your Armours system, 350biker?

Ian

Comment

The original Villiers/Greeves silencer never had fibre glass packing, just relied on baffle plates and tube. I assume Armours have not put the required amount of baffles in theirs

Comment

Just to put in my 4-pennorth, for a truly authentic look, it is possible, of course, to install baffles in the original mega exhaust. Just how effective that may be, remains to be seen (or heard?), but it should overcome the tendency of the mega to hoover up the track dust on the over-run (?) Dear old Frank Conley featured just such a modded Hawkstone in his publication. He is no longer with us, of course, but perhaps Kenny Sykes may have more info?
        Over ...

Comment

Funny you should say that, John R, because I did wonder, taking it a stage further, if anyone had fabricated a reverse cone, which could be brazed just inside the outlet of the megaphone, from which a tailpipe could lead to a discreetly mounted end can. I don't know what effect that would have on back pressure, and performance......

Cheers

Ian

Comment

This one . not a lot else about it is original Hawkstone, but presumably Dick Mann knew what he was about so far as the exhaust efficiency was concerned .. ??

Comment

And I do have, Ian, somewhere in the shed a very rough-looking high-level exhaust for a 9E which has incorporated along its length an old megga. God only knows why? I will email you photos in case it is of any use to you.
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 01/07/2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

OK John, thanks. Baffles in the existing mega may be a goer, though

Comment

Thanks Ian for a very interesting write-up. I don't think it matters how experienced you are, you can always learn something from other people's articles. It is also rather gratifying to realise other people have met the same problems!

Well done and please keep it up. I think a consoldated version would be just the job for dear old Leading Link!

Rob
                  Last edited by Rob; 02/07/2019, 04:27 PM. Reason: Edited to correct por speeling!

Comment

Excellent thread Ian and thanks for posting. I've not been on the forum for a while and it was a real pleasure catching up and reading your posts. It sounds like you're making fine progress. Of course it's not without a few head scratchers but we all have those. I may not have the technical expertise to help out, but I, and I'm sure many others, will be interested to see how the project(s) develop. Keep on posting.
                    It occurs to me that a project is rarely, if ever, actually finished. Changes are made, perhaps upgrades or repairs are needed if the machine is ridden hard. Which makes me think its time for an update on my griffon project thread...

Paul

Comment

These threads will rumble on for a long time, that's for sure! I have been working on wheels, tanks and cycle parts. More on those later. The chap I was hoping would straighten my frame parts is unfortunately unable to help, for personal reasons, so it is back to the drawing board, although there is good expertise locally, albeit not specifically on Greeves.

It has been suggested there may be more to the rear wheel mis-alignment issue that just the wear in the fork. As a result, I re-fitted the swinging arm and rear wheel, with the wheel pushed as far forward as it will go in the fork; the part which is unworn; and carefully aligning it on the other adjuster, it is clear that the alignment issue is solely to do with the wear in the fork, as the wheel now stands proudly upright! Thus, it is just a case of finding someone to weld up the worn area, then re-shape the slot in the swinging arm back to original dimensions, as John W. suggested. I am away for a few days, so not much will happen until next week.

It occurred to me that when they are both up and running, it would be good to bring them along to either the Bristol show in February, or the next AGM. Hmm.......

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X