Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Greeves 24MCS/2/808--3 months and DONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Greeves 24MCS/2/808--3 months and DONE!

Hey all!

I know, I have been away after my first post about this gal! What a gem and a blast!

Hubby got her 1990 in Phoenix, AZ....tried to buy from original owner/racer whom did so in CA, the west coast desert races. He had some amazing stories...but not ready to sell. Well, approx 3 years later Dave was at a corner market and went out only to see the exact same Greeves in the back of a pickup truck! A young kid came out and explained that he had bought the bike when a friend of the family had passed. Dave oggled and awed and went on and on...finally the kid said..."If you like it so darn much, buy it from me! I hate it, its a BEAST!" Dave had loved Greeves since he was a kid, idolized Malcolm Smith who started on Greeves in the early 60's before Husqavarna picked him up.

She was rough...but GOOD BONES! Over the next few years Dave did what research you can do before the internet (LOL). He got busted riding her in Northern AZ and the Forrest Service fined him heavily and told him next time he was caught without the proper spark arrestor the would impound the bike...so to storage she went for 15 years. We moved to KY...a commonwealth state...I asked and NO REGULATIONS on dirt bikes, just stay off county maintained roads..no noise regulations or anything on the off road vehicles. SOOO, out of storage, fluids and gas added..she roared to life on the 2nd kick!

We were soo torn! Love to ride her, so not really wanting the "Concoarse" or "Museum" restore, loved the "west coast desert racing" look, the original 1970 AMA District 37 (CA Racing organization) on the number plate (square, put on by original owner) and the off road tag for CA last renewed 6/1983. Tinkered with the idea of putting the amal carb..but Mikuni honestly is tempermental enough! Even got new fenders...but they are still in the box!

Frame off mechanical restore! We sanded by hand all paintable parts, then bought the paint and had a professional paint her. I hit the front fender with 1000 grit sand paper, the back took 600 grit. The back we had to further crop do to a split in her...but they polished up....and though not original, THE CROPPED FENDERS LOOK....WICKED!!! At least in our minds, and so has been the overall feedback. The front fender stay had been fixed in the field...the original owner did a NUMBER on the front end...foot peg holder wasted...we had no idea how bad until we got it off, fortunately...Frank had one that wasn't bent. The front fender stay was bent upwards and cracked on one side....we decided to have the crack brazed...again, not truly original...but looks....WICKED! The tank...a mess, again, he did a number on it, his great grandchildren felt at least one of the big dents in it....it went to CA...AMAZING repair! Straight as a whistle, and no sanding needed...just used some polish.

Engine...amazingly intact..the 36A...replaced all gaskets and seals, got new points and condensor..not used though, old ones cleaned and timing set! Truly amazing if you ask me! Again, all engine parts from Frank! The rings were at 30 over, and we did replace, but no work needed on the piston.

The seat...what a nightmare, first guy really messed it up....the foam was dust and we gave him pictures...somehow he lost the back hump...I can't even mention the stitching...UGG, but a little old lady locally redid the cover and made the stitching disappear...we are going to have more work done on it.

One other modification...switched from 1/4 to 1/2 turn throttle, made our own cables too. She handles so much better for me! (Honestly, I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh in at 120 pounds...I have to eat my wheeties to kick her over thats for sure). I now can go through the gears on her and handle her and have FUN in the MUD! I must say, poor Dave...he just doesn't get the same reaction as I do when he rides...no whistles or cheering him on to kick her over...LOL! We did put NOS motocross tires on front and back....where we ride, the trials doesn't cut it...lots of mud and clay soil.

Sorry to ramble...BUT I LOVE THESE BIKES!

We also have the Blooie Pipe (it truly does make your eardrums vibrate..also makes dogs howl for miles and kids scream!LOL) but most people motion for me to open the throttle and let her rip...and a strange but...you guessed it...WICKED looking bash plate...must have been fabricated specifically for the bike, most likely instead of the holes in the "cradle" for the engine that I have seen around.

3 months time it took us! Dad and I around the clock and when Dave home, him too...sometimes 24 hrs in the shop! I WOULD DO IT AGIAN IN A HEARTBEAT, AS WE ALL WOULD!

We took her to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days....she was a HIT! Ran her 6+ hours a day, Dave and I and a backpack with plugs, tools, etc riding on her...which, I might add, that we never used...she ran like a trooper! We did have to change to a colder plug after 6 or so hours of riding...even ran the Blooie pipe! We never imagined the positive response to keeping the aftermarket stuff, the modifications done by the original owner, nor the decals from the 70's and the 1983 off road tag...thought we would be hammered by discourse for the cropped fenders, mikuni carb, bent up fender stay and the motocross tires...but they loved it, even the megaphone exhaust!

We have been soooo humbled by the response to our "Eleanor"...its the age old controversy I have seen some posts about....renew or undo???

For us...it was about her...it was about what riders did to the bike in the field...an era lost, so, for us....we left her as she was! We have the parts to make her museum..when we are too old to ride....thats when we will put her back to "factory specs".... AND THEN SHE WILL BE ON DISPLAY IN OUR LIVING ROOM!
    Thanks for the support and response, and for your love of the vintage stuff...Its great to see others with the same love and belief of "The Great Ones"!

I am going to try to post pictures...before and after, wish me luck! Finally..LOL, just set up myspace...hope this works. See pictures at www.myspace.com/542565165

Thanks all,
    Tammy in KY USA
    History saved...Eleanor renewed
    100.00%
    Crop job...not original enough
    0.00%
    Undecided
    0.00%
    Not even close.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by tammyanddaveky; 23/07/2010, 01:46 AM. Reason: to add link to pictures of bike

'Eleanor'

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for your splendid post(s) about 'Eleanor'-I've really enjoyed reading them!!!

I think it's great that Colin wants to do an article in 'Leading Link' (club magazine, and the best there is!) as I know reading your story will give pleasure to many fellow Greeves enthusiasts. Besides, it means that you'll HAVE to join the GRA now!!!

It's wonderful to be in contact with our many friends in the USA, and elsewhere overseas. Even here in the UK we have a pretty spread out membership, and the forum gives us all a fantastic way to be able to 'hook up' and share our hobby and passion, not to mention swap a bit of fun 'banter' with like minded souls!

We are so lucky to have access to guys like Colin, Peter R, Kenny, JW, (etc etc!) who are so incredibly knowledgable and experienced, and able to offer so much help and advice with our bikes. I've learnt so much new stuff since the forum went live! These guys blow me away with what they know about 'our' bikes!

Do keep those posts coming Tammy, and please 'ramble' away all you want to! It's always a pleasure to hear from you on here, with more tales about the lovely 'Eleanor'!

She truly is a credit to you both, a lovely restoration indeed. Congratulations guys, and well done! Loved the pics, thanks for the link!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
      Hi Tammy,

Thanks for your splendid post(s) about 'Eleanor'-I've really enjoyed reading them!!!

I think it's great that Colin wants to do an article in 'Leading Link' (club magazine, and the best there is!) as I know reading your story will give pleasure to many fellow Greeves enthusiasts. Besides, it means that you'll HAVE to join the GRA now!!!

It's wonderful to be in contact with our many friends in the USA, and elsewhere overseas. Even here in the UK we have a pretty spread out membership, and the forum gives us all a fantastic way to be able to 'hook up' and share our hobby and passion, not to mention swap a bit of fun 'banter' with like minded souls!

We are so lucky to have access to guys like Colin, Peter R, Kenny, JW, (etc etc!) who are so incredibly knowledgable and experienced, and able to offer so much help and advice with our bikes. I've learnt so much new stuff since the forum went live! These guys blow me away with what they know about 'our' bikes!

Do keep those posts coming Tammy, and please 'ramble' away all you want to! It's always a pleasure to hear from you on here, with more tales about the lovely 'Eleanor'!

She truly is a credit to you both, a lovely restoration indeed. Congratulations guys, and well done! Loved the pics, thanks for the link!

Brian.
      THANK YOU ALL! I couldn't agree more about Colin, Peter, Kenny, JW and everyone....Dave and I know a little bit about the history etc...very hungry to learn more! I love all the posts and the fun ones too....not everyone understands the vintage stuff let alone the humor!

I think it interesting too, to hear a womans perspective on things...these machines were definitely not intended for women to ride, I think anyway....an example...the distance between the footpeg (footrest) and the gear shift lever...must be a size 13?? Now, I have a big foot for a woman, size 8....it just doenst reach....but, its a good thing, because it helps remind me of the oposite shift pattern on Eleanor compared to my Honda...keeps me in check!

I just can't thank everyone enough for the positive feedback and ideas on Eleanor...I am also sooo glad to find others that "SPEAK WITH THEIR BIKES...LOL"

Also, we are finding that 1 Scrambler just isn't enough for us...so looking for the next Scrambler for me...as long as the "bones" are good!

Take care and have a great day

...we are off to load up the bikes and ride on some trails in the area where we camp...must change Eleanors exhaust to the aftermarket and remove its baffling...she doesn't run well with the baffling in...not meant for the compression chamber...I believe thats what its called...forgive me, I am learning this stuff and tend to call things by the wrong name...please feel free to correct me....OH YES, EXPANSION CHAMBER I believe was the term I was looking for....I also suffer from frequent "brain farts" so hope ya'll can forgive me for that too!
      Tammy in KY
      Last edited by tammyanddaveky; 24/07/2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Greeves history/reference sources.

Hi Tammy,

Yes indeed, it's great to hear a womans perspective on things.

I'm going a little 'off topic' here, but being as you mentioned it in your previous post...in order to find out more about the history of Greeves you ought to try and get yourselves a copy of this book, assuming you don't already have a copy;

Greeves
        by Mick Walker, Rob Carrick
        Hardcover, Osprey Publishing, Limited, ISBN 085045882X

This has recently been reprinted as a softcover and is available over here in the UK for around £20 GBP. Highly recommended, and pretty much the definative account (so far!) You should be able to track down a copy pretty easily mail order/on-line etc. You could try; http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/author/Mick%20Walker Maybe Bearingman might know of a source in the USA?

The 'Original' editions (hardback) often go for crazy money (i.e. up to £100 GBP!!! , here's an example currently for sale on EBay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREEVES-All-Of...item563e3f3ec3) so it's worth seeking one of the reprints out while they're still available!

Back issues of the club magazine 'Leading Link' are also invaluable for reference, to say the least! If you ever see any copies snap 'em up!!! A good selection of back issues are usually available to members through the club as well, at very modest cost.

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/07/2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
          INow, I have a big foot for a woman, size 8....it just doenst reach....but, its a good thing, because it helps remind me of the opposite shift pattern on Eleanor compared to my Honda...keeps me in check!

I would have thought the gear shift being on the "wrong" side would have been a pretty effective reminder...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            I would have thought the gear shift being on the "wrong" side would have been a pretty effective reminder...
            You are absolutely right on that Colin! But sometimes, well at all times, it never hurts to have several reminders!

AGAIN, I want to thank ya'll for the wonderful responses and input, cant say it enough! This site is fabulous and it's great for learning! Seems Dave and I just can't get our full or enough history and Greeves tidbits...always wanting more, but that's how it goes with things you are passionate about!
            Tammy

Comment

More restoration pictures:during/after

Hi all,

Thought you might enjoy some new pictures I posted on www.myspace.com/542565165.

There are some during(with close up of magneto, head etc with #'s both stamped and etched) after, before...and some of the recent AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Mid OH.

Thanks again!
              Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                Hi Tammy,

Yes indeed, it's great to hear a womans perspective on things.

I'm going a little 'off topic' here, but being as you mentioned it in your previous post...in order to find out more about the history of Greeves you ought to try and get yourselves a copy of this book, assuming you don't already have a copy;

Greeves
                by Mick Walker, Rob Carrick
                Hardcover, Osprey Publishing, Limited, ISBN 085045882X

This has recently been reprinted as a softcover and is available over here in the UK for around £20 GBP. Highly recommended, and pretty much the definative account (so far!) You should be able to track down a copy pretty easily mail order/on-line etc. You could try; http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/author/Mick%20Walker Maybe Bearingman might know of a source in the USA?

The 'Original' editions (hardback) often go for crazy money (i.e. up to £100 GBP!!! , here's an example currently for sale on EBay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GREEVES-All-Of...item563e3f3ec3) so it's worth seeking one of the reprints out while they're still available!

Back issues of the club magazine 'Leading Link' are also invaluable for reference, to say the least! If you ever see any copies snap 'em up!!! A good selection of back issues are usually available to members through the club as well, at very modest cost.

Brian.
                Thanks Brian...Just got it today...fabulous and very nice indeed...already can't put it down!!
                Tammy

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of Eleanor (and Tammy) copied off Tammy's myspace site...

Do hope your leg's better, Tammy!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 09/08/2010, 07:19 PM.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

'Eleanor' before the resto pics!

Nice one Colin, thanks!

Here's a link to some pics and info Tammy posted on the 'Vintage Bike' website that I found. They clearly show the condition 'Eleanor' was in prior to the superb resto Tammy and Dave carried out;

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 08:24 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

There has been some questions from the Greeves Riders Asssociation, pointing out that this bike may have the frame of a Greeves RDS rather than a MCS. However, Tammy has sent me the frame number and is able to 100% verify this as an MCS frame.

I wonder what records Nigel Wynn (www.vintagebike.co.uk) has to verify frame numbers??

Comment

Frame number

Looks like an 24MDS to me - but Tammy has a frame number picture on her myspace that starts MCS, I don't understand this as it does look like an MDS frame (pretty similar to mine).

Comment

Originally posted by blackshiver View Post
                          Looks like an 24MDS to me - but Tammy has a frame number picture on her myspace that starts MCS, I don't understand this as it does look like an MDS frame (pretty similar to mine).

Hi blackshiver.

It can get a little confusing at times on exported Greeves...

Most MDS model Greeves that were imported to the USA came as 24MCS/2, basically the same bike as yours, but with a 19 inch front wheel, sometimes a larger steel petrol tank and maybe different transmission ratios...also folding footrest were added later on, just before the 24MX1 was introduced. The above options is what Nick Nicholson specified for cross country events. We really did not have motocross at that time in the USA, I think they were called "Hare Scrambles".

We did have 24MCS imported here, but with the earlier frame and paddle wheel hubs.

I hope I answered your question.

Kenny Sykes
                          USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                            Hi blackshiver.

It can get a little confusing at times on exported Greeves...

Most MDS model Greeves that were imported to the USA came as 24MCS/2, basically the same bike as yours, but with a 19 inch front wheel, sometimes a larger steel petrol tank and maybe different transmission ratios...also folding footrest were added later on, just before the 24MX1 was introduced. The above options is what Nick Nicholson specified for cross country events. We really did not have motocross at that time in the USA, I think they were called "Hare Scrambles".

We did have 24MCS imported here, but with the earlier frame and paddle wheel hubs.

I hope I answered your question.

Kenny Sykes
                            USA
                            Thanks for clearing things up again Kenny, I am soo glad for your input and expertise! It does get confusing with the exports to USA. I appreciate your time and brain power more than I can say. Have a great day!
                            Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by blackshiver View Post
                              Hi too Blackshiver..it gets confusing with the exports, and I am a "newborn Greeves finatic", just reading my books now...I am sorry for the confusion, and rest assured you are definitely not the first one with the same thoughts and confusion. I am soooo glad Kenny is available and willing to share his knowledge! Our Greeves is exactly as Kenny says---19 inch front wheel, folding footpegs, and different gear ratios, and the 36A..hope it clears things up a bit. I do wish those export records would surface! Thanks and have a good one!
                              Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X