greeves Scottish road lighting conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greeves Scottish road lighting conversion

Can anyone advise me on the practicality of fitting a lighting system to my 1959 Scottish (31A engine)
    A circuit diag, hardware, etc
    Peter

Originally posted by Peter Wareing View Post
    Can anyone advise me on the practicality of fitting a lighting system to my 1959 Scottish (31A engine)
    A circuit diag, hardware, etc
    Peter
    Peter there is a new thread on Greeves Wiring Diagrams http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...iring+diagrams
    You will find a diagram on there suitable for your bike
    It will depend upon whether your bike still has the lighting coils fitted, many were removed when these bikes were used 'in anger' for trials.
    With regards to the two pin plug its not positive & negative, both pins are positive with earth return via frame. The large pin supplies the main lights & speedo, the small pin to stop light only (not shown connected in diagram, stop bulb filament would be 6v 18watt). If used with the correct bulbs as shown in diagram it should work ok, the dip switch though does need to be 'make before break' otherwise bulbs will blow when you go from dip to main beam & reverse. It is of course a direct lighting system.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/12/2014, 07:50 PM. Reason: Extra info re two pin plug

Comment

I fitted a home made LED conversion to my '59 Scottish but it's still too early to know if it has cured the problem I previously had with the standard system which was filament bulbs 'blowing' due to excessive vibration when used to ride between section on a long distance trial. I utilized a 9v battery pack housed beneath the fuel tank to resist water ingress.

Comment

Lighting systems

Peter
        The route I am going on my '62 model Scottish is via the Electrex World electronic ignition system with lighting option. This was fitted and supplied by Villiers Services and has a 6v or 12v rectifier regulator which fits nicely under the tank alongside the HT CDI unit. Not fitted the lights yet but my 1949 BSA Bantam has a very similar system from Bournemouth Bantams which works fine and my wiring diagram for the lights and horn will be cribbed from that.
        Hope that helps.
        Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Working...
        X