No announcement yet.

Challenger 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening I brazed a torque arm anchor to the left leg of my banana forks as the brake is on the left of the R.E. hub. My anchor point on the brake plate is 25mm further away from the spindle than the Greeves brake so I fitted it 25mm further up the leg to keep the angles the same.
    While I had the bottles out I warmed up the little tabs and bent them back into shape.
    I welded a couple of tabs to the suspension link, above the wheel spindle. These are to mount the mudgaurd brackets to, I am going for a low level gaurd. High level gaurds don't do much to keep the water out of the riders face.
    Tomorrow I will lob some aluminium at the lathe, hopefully some handlebar clamps will emerge

Comment

After a couple of hours with the lathe I have a pair of handlebar clamps. A bit of hand finishing is now required
      They look nothing like the oval tube and U bolt arrangement but they should hold the bars nice and firmly. I have decided to stick with 1" bars as I have a rather nice set of alloy bars, 1" in the middle tapering down to 7/8"

Comment

£390 down the pan
        I picked my banana forks up from the paint strippers and found a ring of pin holes around the LH leg just below the reinforcing piece. They must have been stood with the leg full of water.
        I have another set of banana legs, the same length, but these have an offset top yoke (wheel further back = more trail) with no handlebar mounting holes Anyone know what they are off?
        Last edited by gribley; 23/12/2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gribley View Post
          £390 down the pan
          I picked my banana forks up from the paint strippers and found a ring of pin holes around the LH leg just below the reinforcing piece. They must have been stood with the leg full of water.
          I have another set of banana legs, the same length, but these have an offset top yoke (wheel further back = more trail) with no handlebar mounting holes Anyone know what they are off?
          I believe these might be off an anglian or ranger,but not 100% sure. Mick.

Comment

Top Yoke

Don't know if it helps any, the top yoke (bannana's) with the angle set in it as you show will be trials, the scramble yoke for bananas is straight. The only top yoke with no holes for handle bars (got to bolt them on somehow) as they used clip-on's would be Silverstone. I have no knowledge of the Silverstone, however don't think they were ever kitted out with bannana's .

Gut feeling you have unused, unfinished/drilled yoke, or home made item .

I do know that when you assemble the forks and yoke, if incorrect the centre spindle will not line up and trys to distort the bearings .

Rob.

Comment

I have done a bit of measuring, the legs and yoke are definitely correct together, everything aligns. So the undrilled yoke is a mystery although it will not be undrilled for long.
              Using these legs will move the front wheel contact patch backwards relative to the steering axis thus increasing the trail. As this will be a road bike, the extra stability resulting from increased trail may well be an advantage.
              I shone my super dooper LED torch down the inside of my fork legs, this set has a very slight dusting of surface rust inside.
              The Griffon legs, one has surface rust inside the other is quite rusty and the area around the bottom of the reinforcing piece and the damper mounts is rusted to almost nothing for about 40mm

Comment

Originally posted by Sprocket View Post
                The only top yoke with no holes for handle bars (got to bolt them on somehow) as they used clip-on's would be Silverstone. I have no knowledge of the Silverstone, however don't think they were ever kitted out with bananas .

Rob.
                Correct, neither racer was factory fitted with bananas.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bar retainers 36mx4

Hi Gribbles
                  Ant chance you could knock me up a set as I have U bolts for my almost perfect original 1" bars and they are useless.
                  Cheers
                  Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X