TFS Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS Trail

This is a recent ebay purchase and my first Greeves with leading link forks & a Villiers / Greeves engine ( I like the Puch engined Pathfinders and over the past couple of years have purchased both Trials & Enduro versions )
    This TFS Trail came back fom America in a shipping container along with many other classic bikes. The machine has a few parts missing such as the rear brake lever, foot pegs & front & rear lights. The chrome on the original Dunlop rims is surprisingly good & corrosion seems minimal overall.
    I really wanted to sort the engine and do enough work to be able to ride the bike after a couple of months.
    I removed the 34A engine and stripped it completely before taking it to Villiers Services . They were really helpful and spent hours carefully examining the individual components. They considered the engine to be a particularly original & unmolested example appearing to have had very little use. The Challenger barrel was standard bore & borderline for needing first rebore. After much deliberation the barrel was rebored to +15 thou oversize and a NOS Villiers +15 piston & rings supplied. Other parts supplied included reconditioned exchange crankshaft, main bearings & seals, clutch plates & springs,woodruff keys, NOS carb body & full gasket set. I used an ultrasonic cleaner on most of the castings prior to careful reassembly following the original Villiers service manual & Greeves service notes.
    I replaced the tyres & tubes, fitted a new chain, made up new throttle & clutch cables along with temporary foot pegs before attempting to start the engine for the first time.
    The engine started at the first attempt and ran very well - my first ride was hugely enjoyable.
    I would very much like to road register this machine & would appreciate any advice on how to go about this.
    I am concerned that there is no visible frame number on the headstock. The engine no. is 34A 203FC 3807
    Any help over the missing rear brake lever & foot pegs would also be most useful.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
    This is a recent ebay purchase and my first Greeves with leading link forks & a Villiers / Greeves engine ( I like the Puch engined Pathfinders and over the past couple of years have purchased both Trials & Enduro versions )
    This TFS Trail came back fom America in a shipping container along with many other classic bikes. The machine has a few parts missing such as the rear brake lever, foot pegs & front & rear lights. The chrome on the original Dunlop rims is surprisingly good & corrosion seems minimal overall.
    I really wanted to sort the engine and do enough work to be able to ride the bike after a couple of months.
    I removed the 34A engine and stripped it completely before taking it to Villiers Services . They were really helpful and spent hours carefully examining the individual components. They considered the engine to be a particularly original & unmolested example appearing to have had very little use. The Challenger barrel was standard bore & borderline for needing first rebore. After much deliberation the barrel was rebored to +15 thou oversize and a NOS Villiers +15 piston & rings supplied. Other parts supplied included reconditioned exchange crankshaft, main bearings & seals, clutch plates & springs,woodruff keys, NOS carb body & full gasket set. I used an ultrasonic cleaner on most of the castings prior to careful reassembly following the original Villiers service manual & Greeves service notes.
    I replaced the tyres & tubes, fitted a new chain, made up new throttle & clutch cables along with temporary foot pegs before attempting to start the engine for the first time.
    The engine started at the first attempt and ran very well - my first ride was hugely enjoyable.
    I would very much like to road register this machine & would appreciate any advice on how to go about this.
    I am concerned that there is no visible frame number on the headstock. The engine no. is 34A 203FC 3807
    Any help over the missing rear brake lever & foot pegs would also be most useful.
    Clever use of the Kitchen in the rebuild ......well done on the re-build should go nicely with the challenger barrel - and great to know that it will be ridden and enjoyed! there are several threads on registering for the road- am sure John W or Brian C will pick up the thread and point you in the right direction. If not already a GRA member - you should look at joining the club Cheers Kim

Comment

Registering TFS for road

As its an import from USA it will need a first registration, it may also attract import duty unless you can prove its been paid by the importer (presumably you bought it through a dealer) I am sure you will need a dating certificate from the GRA (Druids your man) & then apply to DVLA for an age related number. Dont settle for a Q plate.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Congrats on your bike. I have a lighting set and coils to fit your TFS if you are interested. They came off a greeves ranger originally. I also have the rear brake lever and folding foot pegs on my TFS Trail if you want some to copy (I suspect that they may be difficult to find in UK). Frank Conley in California may have the foot pegs for sale and is worth asking.

Paul
        Attached Files

Comment

TFS Trail - missing parts & DVLA registration

Thanks to Kim, John & Paul for positive comment,encouragement and really useful information on registering the bike & sourcing the missing parts.
          I am enjoying this project immensely and very much appreciate the help & advice from GRA members.

Comment

TFS Trail parts supplied by Frank Conley

Many thanks to Paul for suggesting Frank Conley as a possible source of parts. I have just purchased a rear brake lever in good condition and a right side foot peg. As the left peg should be a mirror image of the right it should not be too difficult to make an accurate replica.

Comment

TFS Trail update

Progress has been slow since Christmas but I would like to say a big thank you to Paul who has very kindly supplied me with a full lighting set in excellent condition and who unexpectedly enclosed a pair of foot pegs in the package from the USA.
              The pegs are perfect - photos attached.
              Unfortunately the rear brake lever and single foot peg supplied by Frank Conley do not fit this machine - so back to the drawing board on the brake lever. It is my intention to fabricate a lever based on vaious pictures I have of complete TFS Trails.

Steve
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve - glad you liked the lighting set and that the pegs fit your TFS. I shall keep an eye open for the brake pedal for you. Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
                X