1965 ISDT MX2 Challenger project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter,
    Originally the Comerfords Greeves used the Steffa LT side (half a winding or thereabouts) to supply a few watts to get through scrutineering. On Mike Barretts bike (Comerfords greeves) he fitted a small battery in the airbox to power lights for the MoT.
    The system that Paul has is unobtainable now and you wouldn't be able to fit it because the later gearbox (360 type) doesn't give you the room.

Druid

Comment

Druid thanks for that, the road test of mine did say the lights would not illuminate the mudguard, let alone the road! Any more information from those in the know most gratefully received Peter.

Comment

So far I have worked on a totol loss system. Using a Challenger airbox a different air filter has been fitted giving a space 120mm X 45mm X92 mm for a battery. The lights are all LED and it seems that the current usage is 0.347 amp with the lights on. I think that a 12 volt 10 amp hour battery could last for 12 hours. Mark is away at the moment but when he gets back we will try the system out.

Comment

I forgot to add the wiring is very simple, 1 wire from the battery to headlight switch then 1 wire to headlight and 1 to tail light and 1 wire to brake switch and 1 wire from battery to both light cases to me a common earth. with a fuse in line. Hope this is understandable.

Comment

Seems the best solution Mike, here are a couple of pics of an AJS Stormer modified to trail bike trim with LED / battery lights
            Attached Files

Comment

Always provide a good earth wire back from the light unit, do not rely on thin wires or transmission of the return through the head bearings or bolted up frame members that have been painted or powder coated.

Comment

As we are talking about ISDT bikes I want wider gear ratios for mine and could be persuaded to discuss swapping a tyre&fire air bottle, small size, for the gears I need- problem is I will have to dismantle the box to find out what I do not have. Anyone interested? Peter.

Comment

Working...
                X