New Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scottish

(Very) recent purchase of an early 1960MY Scottish trials bike brings me along to join in the fun.......

only had a couple of short bimbles up till now and gradually getting used to right foot change having spent my biking life on mainly 80's Suzuki's with the odd foray into more recent track weapons and an Italian / Jap mix......its joined a few other more recent 'classics' both 2 and 4wheeled.....

idea is to join in some local summer runs and such and see how we get on
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0646.JPG Views:	0 Size:	554.6 KB ID:	89855
    Attached Files

Not sure what you mean by 1960 'MY' as Greeves did not make an MY model. Looks like a 24TCS or maybe a 20TC with the 250cc 32A engine. If you give the frame number (stamped at top of alloy beam on LH side) I can confirm the model. Where are you?

Comment

Sorry "MY" as in Model Year........I believe its an approx Sept 1959 manufactured, Dec 1959 registered bike (Leeds dealer) - 24TAS and has the 246 Villiers engine from the research already done......
      was a single owner bike for circa 50years and since then has has a relatively light resto and engine refresh but keeping the original tank / mudguards patina

was purchased down country but I am based not far from the "Angel" up in the North East

Comment

If its a TAS then it will have a 59/**** frame number. new models came out in September with 60/**** frame number to co-inside with the Motorcycle Show at Earls Court. The 1960 model was the TCS so if yours is a TAS it had would have been 'old stock'.

Comment

Sorry yes your correct it was the new for 1960 model (apologies for not being quite sorted with model designations)

Comment

Lovely looking bike looks in good condition

Comment

Agree, Liam, it's a great looking bike. Try to keep it that way, Stockcar, too many get spoiled by unsympathetic mods. Welcome to the "Club" by the way!

Comment

thats the plan, bought for some runs and such but won't be competing as its likely the incumbent won't be up to much........

Comment

Great looking bike, welcome on board.

Comment

can anyone advise if it should have any sort of foot grips, rubber or whatever??
                    it simply has the bare painted frame at this moment and not good for slippy boots........

Comment

It wouldn't have had footrest rubbers originally. Nothing to stop you putting them on, though, if you are just using it on the road.

Ian C

Comment

cheers thought that may be the case, I think whoever has coated the frame has gone a bit mental on the footpegs as there seems very little of what appear to be original knurling

Comment

They weren't knurled. They had dabs of weld on top of the footrest bar. Powder-coating can go on very thick.

Comment

My '62 model TD had the original solid bar footrests with the weld blobs on for grip. I was advised by Dave McGregor to forego originality and get rid of those ankle breakers as he referred to them. Had my local enginers cut them short and weld on folding pegs in the same location. Of course you could keep the originals and buy a new replica footrest bar and have that modified. (I did that too!)
                            Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

thanks for the info, not sure I want to go cutting things around as the bike is far too nice for that..............
                              will look initially at trying to get some rubbers and appear circa 19mm is whats required so will get hunting unless someone has a few clues having already done it??

Comment

Working...
                              X