New USA member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New USA member

Hello to all Greeves owners! Greeves is not a common bike in my area. I did a lot of trail riding here in Western Oregon back in the 70's, and don't remember ever seeing one. I new they existed, and probably would have remembered it if I came across one. I rode a BSA B-50mx and really loved that bike. My best friend rode a B-50mx also but changed to a Yamaha TT500 like everyone else had in our group.
    I really like the vintage bikes and when a couple of Greeves came up at a local estate auction I bought one. I wish I bought them both now, tried, but I can't buy everything. I did buy a AJS 1957/18 and a 1964 Greeves 24MX1 Challenger. The auctioneer said it was the 1st Challenger imported to the USA, but they always talk like that to increase interest. I do have documentation when it was shipped and received here. It is lightly used, then parked probably for over 50 years. Very dusty, and the engine is stuck. All the bikes sold were all parked in such a way that they were not accessible(crammed in a tight space)then untangled as they were sold. The AJS is also stuck. The Greeves with the Villiers engine would turn over, and sold for a little more than mine. There was also a brand new Villiers engine in a crate. I bid, but someone else wanted it more.
    I will be interested in finding out more about my new challenger. Curious how many were made and how many made it to the US. Getting it unstuck could be a problem depending where the piston rests. I just got the bike home, and don't even know if it is a reed or piston ported. I have a lot to learn.
    Thanks,

with the challenger engine, it's not just the barrel and piston which could be a problem, but the crank too. The main bearings are like an enlarged needle roller and bear directly on the hardened crank. Corrosion is common in this area during long term storage. I know from experience as I had to take the crank back to the manufacturers (Alpha bearings) from my brothers MX1. Alpha went out of business recently, but have since returned, I have not seen any kind of reviews of the new set up

Comment

Sounds like that could be a bigger problem. Are crank seals available?
      Thanks

Comment

What is the frame number?

Comment

Crank seals are readily available, as are pistons if you need a rebore. However, as Teamferret said, if the crank is corroded it can be a real problem, as getting replacements isn't easy. If you're not frightened of spending a buck or two there is a solution offered in the UK which involves converting the crank to take standard metric roller bearings. Best of luck with the tear down, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Hopefully the crank is ok, but if it's not, I will need more info on the UK solution.

I believe the frame # ends in 370, but I will need to double check that. Is there a registry to put it in?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by oregun View Post
              Hopefully the crank is ok, but if it's not, I will need more info on the UK solution.

I believe the frame # ends in 370, but I will need to double check that. Is there a registry to put it in?

Thanks
              Yes I run the Greeves Survivors list, its not the first in USA as I have 24MX136 listed in USA
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/07/2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean mine is the earliest serial # in the US, but that it was thought to be the 1st one imported back in 1964 or 65. Someone could import an early serial number at anytime. Don't put my number on your list yet, that was just a number that stuck in my head. I looked at some paperwork here that says 730 on it too. I'm not sure which bike that went with, mine could be totally different. The auction had that 730# with my bike, so I really need to double check all that. The bike is in another location. Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything until I actually knew for sure. There were 2 Greeves bikes at that auction, and there was Greeves paperwork that went to neither bike. The other had really cool finned brake drums and the Villiers engine. The tank was beat up but it was a really cool bike all in all. I thought it was a former race bike.

Is your list available?

Thanks

Comment

730 would be a 1965 MX2 I will record that as with owner unknown

Comment

Over here in the USA titles for old cars and motorcycles get screwed up all the time because the engine number or some other number was used originally for the title or bill of sale. Then when that motor or part gets removed the title no longer matches. The reason we were looking at both Greeves was because the 730 number was on a bill of sale. It was for a Greeves motorcycle serial # - 070D-730 on a receipt dated December 10, 1964. We could not find that number on either bike. I assumed it went to a different bike at first, but the family could not remember any other Greeves motorcycles. I have that receipt in front of me, but I could find any reference to it on my bike. This receipt looks to me like a receipt for a Greeves the original deceased owner sold back in 1964. It probably doesn't exist today. I still have too many numbers in my head to reliably say what is on my bike until I look at it again.

Did you understand what I meant by 1st Challenger in the USA?

Is your list available, or is it secret?

Thanks

Comment

Looks like the number 070D-730 is an engine number The frame number is on LH side of alloy beam near where top tube is cast in. The number will be stamped 24MX*** My list is not secret, but not in public domain. Info can be given on individual machines. Yes I understand what you mean by first Challenger in USA, that will be hard to prove as the GRA have no despatch records for Exported machines.

Comment

The number prefix 070D is typically that of a Villiers type 33A engine as fitted to a Greeves scrambler of 1960-61 ............. Would not have been fitted to the later Challenger model 24MX (1964-on), which had the Greeves-manufactured engine with a number of quite different format.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, oregun! If you upgrade to GRA Member you'll have access to a whole lot more Greeves-related information .......

John R
                        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 21/07/2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks John R. I will have to do that in the future when I can. I'm saving up for parts right now.

We tried to make sure that # 070D-730 didn't go to either bike at the auction. It looks to me to have been sold on that date for $475 and not purchased by the estate. If that engine # turns up in your registry, the owner might like that bit of history for his bike. I will save it.

Can you tell me how many 24MX1 bikes were built? and how many you know of?

The 24MX1 I have was purchased new in the UK and sent over here in 1964. Probably is not in any official Greeves records, because Greeves didn't send it, but the family that owned the bike was sure of that. It is just an interesting side fact, that may or may not be true, but the paper trail for the bike is there. Documentation like that adds to the bikes history, whether it was indeed 1st or not. Often that is lost, so I value it.

Thanks

Comment

I have 25 24MX1 on survivors list, I dont know how many were built but the survivors go from 24MX101 to 415 so over 300 built. If you give me your frame (VIN) number I may be able to find out more.

Comment

Seems like they would have made more. I think my paperwork said $875 was paid for my bike, while that seems reasonable today, it was considerable in 1964. Much more than something made in Japan. I remember seeing Kawasaki 175's being sold in the crate selling for $275 in 1972. I really wanted one. My Dad, helped me get a 1972 or 3 Honda SL125 instead. That was my 1st bike.

How long have you been compiling the Survivor list? About how many 24MX1 examples do you add each year? Were more made as MX2 and MX3 in later years?

I can get you my number tomorrow. Today I'm away. Are there any other numbers that are relevant besides the engine number? I think the bike is complete, possibly not. I will try to post a couple pictures of it as well.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X