No announcement yet.

New USA member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been doing Survivors list about 3 years, sorry I cant give you a figure for MX1 added each year, probably about 5 or 6, yes MX2 and MX3 were later models in later years. No other numbers only only frame and engine. This link to main web site lists all models and years together with first frame number https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/identify/
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/07/2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

My day went sideways so I checked the bike over for numbers today. I also took some pictures, but it appears that I can't post any until I become a member. That's unfortunate because we all like pictures. I would expect more interest and involvement in the site if bike pictures could be posted and viewed by all users. I have a good one of the serial number. I probably shouldn't say anything because I'm so new here, but it would be easier to become a member if the dues were lowered by making the newsletter viewable online as an option to printing and mailing. If I wanted a hardcopy I could print it off my computer, maybe even save a few trees in the process. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers. I really appreciate the site because I'm sure I'll need help down the road. Plus I love vintage bikes, especially those used in the dirt.

Frame - 24MX370
      Engine - GPA 376

Comment

We can cheat a bit.......if you want to send the pics by e mail, one of us can post on your behalf.

Comment

I would do that if I knew somebodies e-mail I could send them to, but I don't want anyone in trouble for it. It is always more fun to see pictures of what we are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            We can cheat a bit.......if you want to send the pics by e mail, one of us can post on your behalf.
            Or you can post them direct from a photo sharing site. The bike does fall between two other UK bikes 367 & 383 so as you say could be a UK bike personally exported to USA, maybe by a USAF service man. There were several US air bases in East Anglia at that times, and indeed Lakenheath and Mildenhall are still active. Local dealers welcomed (and still do) the custom from US personal.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/07/2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

The bike was despatched to Bickers of Ipswich 23/10/64, so looks like my guess was right, & that it was sold to a serving US serviceman and taken back to the USA when his term ended in England. Its likely the guy served at Bentwaters which was a base near Ipswich. Engine is the original by the way, (actually GPA1 376)
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/07/2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

John W. , You are correct. It was bought by SGT. M.P. Foster AF19514343 and shipped to his brother here in Oregon. I bought it from his brothers estate. I think it was actually bought for his brother here by the SGT, who owned it until his death, or could have been shipped here because he needed someone to receive it and one brother acquired it from another later. I feel fortunate the paperwork was saved. I like that history aspect.

Sorry about the missing digit, it is there a little to the right of the GPA, with the 376 below the GPA. That is another reason to post pictures. It leaves no doubt. That is another reason I looked over both bikes at the auction so closely as I thought that maybe 370 and 730 may have been a dvslexia error. I didn't know about your registry at the time or I would have taken a picture of the numbers on the other bike. Possibly the new owner will eventually come on here, and knows his bike is a Greeves and not a Villiers like it was listed in the auction. I only know the last 3 frame numbers. Some owners may not want their numbers posted publicly, so I will leave that info off here.

Did the 24MX series change much from 1964 to 65, and 66?

Thanks for the info!

Comment

The reason I asked that last question, about Challenger evolution, is over here there is a lot of vintage racing. The Premier Lightweight class is generally for pre-1965 bikes but the Challenger is excluded, even the 1964 models like mine. Only the Villiers engine Greeves bikes are accepted in that 150-250cc class.

Thanks

Comment

Possible reason why the Challenger is excluded from your Premier Lightweight Class is that the model continued through into 1968 with modifications along the way, many of which would have been interchangeable with original parts in the earlier models. For example, the gearbox in the 1964 MX1 proved to be problematic, so was changed for the 1965 MX2, and again for later models through to MX6. An over-square engine was introduced at one point which would have been readily interchangeable with the earlier one. And forks and frame geometry were also altered or upgraded as time progressed. Production of the Villiers-engined scrambler, on the other hand, pretty much ceased in 1965, hence making it more of a qualifier for your Premier Lightweight Class.
                    Hope this answers your question?
                    John R

Comment

Thanks for those insights on Challenger evolution. That is probably why all Challengers are lumped together by the AHRMA. I've never raced, but I've thought it would be fun. I'm going to try to go to an event, when one comes up near me.

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like TheFlyingWombat.

Here are some pictures of my Challenger.

Comment

That looks in remarkably good original condition, probably never raced in anger by Sargent Fosters brother. Keep it as it is.

Comment

Very nice, oregun. Original 24MX1.

Enjoy!

John R

Comment

The engine being stuck is the only real downside. Some paint worn off the frame where boots rub. The bungie over the tank, even looks original. When I saw it even had the stand, I figured it was all there.
                              I saw a few restored examples that had replacement fenders and tank, that I thought I'd look for, because the originals while near perfect won't stay that way when I ride it. They look fragile. I hope they aren't hard to find as I would like to keep the original look.

Thanks

Comment

Replacement plastics for the Challenger are available over here in the UK, oregun. Our favourite manufacturer/supplier is Roger Ennis, who actually produces Ethanol-resistant tanks. Can PM you contact info if you like?
                                John R

Comment

Working...
                                X