Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Spreadbury New Member Hawkstone

Hi All.

I have just joined the Association and this Forum as I am hoping to get some help and advice from the members. The bike is a Hawkstone, frame number 59/1803. Where can I find the engine number?
    I bought it in 2009, it was running (just!) but was in a very poor way having been thrashed near to death in the motocross events at Mark Tey etc with little or no maintenance. I took the engine to NameTab Engineering for a new cylinder lining, piston etc and repairs to the gearbox. The cylinder and head are from Marcelle and I believe it is a 250cc version. I then fitted a new Amal replacement carb as the old one was was on the point of disintegrating, replacement rear shocks from NJB and new front suspension rubbers (metalastic?) from Adrian Dickenson. The ignition is some kind of electronic unit.

At that point in 2010 we moved to Norfolk and I had never even started or run in the motor. In 2015 we moved back to Suffolk (near Stowmarket) and the bike continued in dry storage here until last week.

There seemed to be a good spark and a lot of compression. So I put a couple of squirts of EasyStart in the carb and my neighbour (fortunately a big chap) kicked the bike over a few times. To our amazement it started and ran but there was a big petrol leak from the fuel tap so we stopped it for now for further repairs. I have those fuel bits on order from Villiers Services but I need to sort the brakes and kill switch out so that hopefully the bike can re enter the East Anglian motocross races again.

Cheers
    Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 03/07/2021, 12:52 PM. Reason: Missed a question out re engine number

Welcome to the Club, Ray!
    Engine number is usually stamped on a small rectangular plate riveted to the rear casting of the primary chain-case. I say "usually" because it often goes AWOL with replacement of the casting, and of course can also be an "alien" number if that casting happens to be replaced by one from another engine (easily done). There may be a record (somewhere?) of the original engine number to match with your frame ........... ?
    I live "just up the road" from you, and have a Hawkstone too, so you might like to compares notes, sometime?
    John R
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 03/07/2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Interesting Ray, I have it on survivors list as eBay 9/18 with Chris ? Colchester & again 1/19 £2250. 8/19 for sale Village M/Cs Stowmarket £2650. Engine number stated as 652B2266 Seem to be some contradiction of dates as you say you acquired it in 2009! See this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...-24sas-59-1803
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/07/2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Interesting Ray, I have it on survivors list as eBay 9/18 with Chris ? Colchester & again 1/19 £2250. 8/19 for sale Village M/Cs Stowmarket £2650. Engine number stated as 652B226 Seem to be some contradiction of dates as you say you acquired it in 2009! See this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...-24sas-59-1803
        Hi John, that MUST BE a different bike as I definitely acquired it on 9th March 2009 from a John (Jock?) Robinson from Groton near Sudbury and its not been out of my possession since. It also has a GRA sticker on it from that time and he used number 324 in the Pre65 series.

BTW I could not follow your link as I have not yet been upgraded from Basic to GRA Member. So does that other bike have the same frame number?

Ray

Comment

Ray that was the number I recorded it as at the time of advert, cant get back to eBay now as is expired, but Village Motorcycles may still have a record. Strange that they are near you at Stowmarket! Here is a pic when it was on eBay Looks like a duplicate (or worse) a re stamped number.

This is the email I had from Lloyd at Village Motorcycles in August 2019 which confirms the frame number
          New message from: twin916 (339)
          Frame. 59/1803

Engine. 652B. 2266

Regards

Lloyd
          ​​​​​​
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/07/2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            Ray that was the number I recorded it as at the time of advert, cant get back to eBay now as is expired, but Village Motorcycles may still have a record. Strange that they are near you at Stowmarket! Here is a pic when it was on eBay Looks like a duplicate (or worse) a re stammed number.
            Definitely a different bike and engine John. When I can send photos, I'll send you some
            regards
            Ray

Comment

Here are the pics of Ray's bike he has sent to me via email. Barrel & head look like Parkinson or Marcelle
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X