Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
    'The changer is so far away from the peg'
    The last thing a trial rider wants is knocking It out of a gear in a section.
    I fitted a carby with a Throttle stop screw.

whitehillbilly
    I realise that, but I’m unlikely to be trialling it. I’m hopeful my heal and toe lever will help. In reality, I’m also unlikely to be using the Greeves for any practical reasons, I’ve still got a 1000cc beemer for that, so I’ll get by as long as I can get used to swapping sides all the time.

Can I not just adjust the throttle cable, make it a bit tighter so the revs never drop enough to cut out? That all a throttle stop really does anyway, isn’t it? If not, then again I can just get used to it - I’m used to getting used to stuff.

Jon

Comment

You have to be careful if adjusting the idle up on the cable. If you do that try to swing it lock to lock to see f it rises at any point. Make sure the cable cannot get snagged by anything like a protruding bolt.

Comment

Good point, thanks Brian. It’s quite some lock on these bikes too isn’t it. ‘Turns on a sixpence’ as people say in the 4-wheeled world. That and the almost laughable weight - I can pick the back end up with one hand - make this the most easily manoeuvrable bike I’ve ever had.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon K View Post

I realise that, but I’m unlikely to be trialling it. I’m hopeful my heal and toe lever will help. In reality, I’m also unlikely to be using the Greeves for any practical reasons, I’ve still got a 1000cc beemer for that, so I’ll get by as long as I can get used to swapping sides all the time.

Can I not just adjust the throttle cable, make it a bit tighter so the revs never drop enough to cut out? That all a throttle stop really does anyway, isn’t it? If not, then again I can just get used to it - I’m used to getting used to stuff.

Jon
          Villiers did do a variant of the S25 carb with a tickover screw (an S25/7 and S25/8 as fitted to Bond Minicar) So you could try and find one of these, you only need the main body as other parts will fit, OR it is possible to drill and tap the hole for tickover screw on existing carb.

Comment

Thanks John but I don’t want to start messing about with the carb to that extent. I like originality where possible and I have faith that the good folks at Greeves and Villiers knew what they were doing. Maybe one day when I’m more experienced in Greeves…

If I can’t do a simple cable adjustment, and I need the engine to be running without my hand on the throttle, I can always carry a strong elastic band and put it round the twist grip and brake lever.

I think I may have discovered why the clutch was feeling a little over-eager. The lever at the handlebar wasn’t fully returning. Undoing it a bit seems to have rectified it. I won’t know for sure if it feels better until I get out on her again, which is probably best left until I have tax and insurance in place. Whoops, I didn’t say that. As you were…

Comment

Taxed and insured now. Insurance cost me £71 including breakdown cover and my broker’s fee. Unbelievable!

Jon

Comment

I am now officially a GRA member

May I just ask where on the forum is the best place to ask questions about maintenance and repair of my ‘63 Scottish? I posted something in ‘General’ and was advised to use ‘Help and advice’ but I can’t find that.

Jon

Comment

You need to ask Ian (on here) to upgrade you now to "GRA Member", Jon. Send him a PM. Then you'll have access to the Members only enclosure wherein lies the Help & Advice section ..........
                  Last edited by johnrunnacles; 25/06/2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks John, will do

Comment

Originally posted by Jon K View Post
                      Taxed and insured now. Insurance cost me £71 including breakdown cover and my broker’s fee. Unbelievable!

Jon
                      Hi Jon, I’ve been following your story with interest, please can you advise who you are insured with as I really need to get mine insured and that sounds a great deal cheers Paul

Comment

Hi Scotty, I use:
                        A-Plan Insurance
                        8 Abington Street, Northampton, NN1 2AJ
                        t: 01206 821 330
                        I used a chap who traded under the name Profile Insurance for years, but he retired and passed over his ‘portfolio’ to these people. I like them because I just ring them and sort it out on the phone, no trawling through quotes, not a meerkat in sight.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
                          Hi Jon, I’ve been following your story with interest, please can you advise who you are insured with as I really need to get mine insured and that sounds a great deal cheers Paul
                          The best classic bike insurer by far is Peter James https://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/ real people to talk to, agreed values, breakdown cover. I have been with them for 8 years and the premium has risen very little in that time, just over £100 for two bikes a Greeves East Coaster and a Yamaha T80 Town Mate

Comment

I too use Peter James, and share John W's view of them; very good. However Jon K appears to have a similar experience with his broker, and they are even cheaper! It may depend on what cover is being included of course.

Ian C.

Comment

I also use Peter James for my TFS, Pathfinder and my arse numbing speed machine an NSU Quickly all for a little over £100. Consider it a bargain myself

Comment

I see Ian has done the business for you, Jon. Congratulations on becoming upgraded to GRA Member on here!

Comment

Working...
                                X