Excited from Thundersley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
    Have you got a bike stand to go under the frame?
    I haven’t, and the picture looks to me like it’s leaning against a wall. So probably no. Should I get one?

Messrs You and Tube seem to suggest strapping bikes by the lower forks, below the suspension point, but I don’t know if that’s wise or even possible with Greeves forks.

Jon

Comment

This is the kind of video I’ve been seeing: https://youtu.be/jxWrx4YjdxA but I guess I’ll just assess it on the day.

Thanks for the replies. Anything and everything is helpful right now. As might be obvious, my head is full of this bike right now and, not yet having it, all I can feed the obsession with is asking possibly daft questions on here.

When I do get it, I’ll probably join the club if that’s OK. Might even buy myself a badge

Jon.

Comment

Would never have thought of securing a Greeves like that, Jon, but then would not contemplate carrying one on an open flat-bed trailer. Conventional bike trailers have a channel into which the bike wheels are run, and a positive location for the front-facing wheel. You have seen my advice re tying down, as you may appreciate "old school", coming out of long experience.

Don't worry about "daft questions"! We've all been there. And hurry up and join the Club. You won't regret it!

John R

Comment

I do appreciate it John, very much. Your experience is exactly why I’m here. I’ve found somewhere reasonably local where I can rent a proper motorcycle trailer so I think I’ll do that. Hopefully they can supply some ratchet straps too, or I’ll just buy some. And I’ll do it your way. Thank you.

Jon

Comment

There are bike transport companies, one of which is not expensive, but moves things to suit his own timetable, I could find the number if you want. I would offer to bring it if I had any other reason to head south. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGreig View Post
              There are bike transport companies, one of which is not expensive, but moves things to suit his own timetable, I could find the number if you want. I would offer to bring it if I had any other reason to head south. Peter.
              Good suggestion Peter there is a guy on https://members5.boardhost.com/classicbikemart/ who moves bikes, may be a good idea to go on that site and ask.

Comment

Thanks chaps but I’m going up there anyway to visit, and staying over a couple of nights.

Jon

Comment

Turns out my next door but one neighbour’s got a bike trailer and they’re going to lend me it. This just keeps getting better and better

Comment

On the subject of strapping down. I have a good deal of experience of moving bikes around on trailers or in my own Transit van which has properly thought-out tie-down locations. Hire vans are not usually very helpful in that respect.

I always start by attaching a pair of straps to the handlebars. inboard of the levers and away from other gubbins. I pull them down so that the forks are compressed a bit and the straps feel tight. Then I tie in the front wheel, usually with a piece of rope. This prevents fore-and aft movement, the bike being on its wheels. of course.

With a Greeves I attach another pair of straps to the rear subframe forward of the rear suspension mounts, and again pull them down so the suspension is partly compressed. It's easy enough to do if you lean on the seat to add a bit of weight.

It isn't a good idea to transport a bike on its centre stand. The straps can vibrate loose and it's quite unnecessary if you have compressed the suspension a bit as described.

Final piece of advice. Always, but always, do a final check that the straps are all properly located at both ends. It's easy to miss something, especially operating inside a van.

What I've described works for me. I haven't lost one yet.
                    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 07/06/2021, 08:26 AM.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I drive a Renault Espace as the seats can be removed leaving the mounts free to attatch ratchet straps, two onto the handlebars two onto the rear subframe, and two underneath to stop the bike moving backwards or forwards, works really well. My race bike and my vintage Hobart fit in no problem, the ISDT bike has to have the forks compressed with another r/strap to fit in under the tailgate. I can get two bikes in if I remove footrests & other sticky out bits. There is also ample room for the air bed and sleeping bag for overnight stays. Peter.

Comment

Always pop into first gear.
                        If in a trailer I put the front wheel in the corner and strap as per pic.

whitehillbilly.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is all good stuff, cheers chaps. Nice bike!

Comment

Not long now! I should have the bike safely home on Monday.

Prepare yourselves for a deluge of pictures and questions

Jon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0FFF9280-3F55-412D-BC89-AA7DD70E87F4.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	87900

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CF2E430-DBF2-46C1-A2EE-94A1DA3EA3AF.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	491.8 KB