Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, my name is Paul and have owned many different bikes from Triumph’s to Fantic’s however I moved away from bikes about 20 years ago and have owned a series 2 Land Rover which was my daily drive, I always maintained this myself and with having no garage this was becoming with age a chore so sadly it had to go, I have always hankered after a Greeves Scottish and now find myself in a position to be able to own one with the added bonus that my wife actually suggested that I finally get one thankfully I have a large workshop in my garden with plenty of space for a Greeves Scottish, I have always loved the design and understand that it may take a while to find the right one ( sadly I missed out on an absolute gem this week but I wasn’t quick enough ) but I know one will turn up and am keeping positive, I wouldn’t ride it to compete however it will get ridden and also taken to shows, Thank you for accepting me to the club Many Thanks Paul Scott

Hi Scott welcome
    there are a few on Facebook market place I’m not sure if you use Facebook but might be worth a look
    Gary

Comment

Welcome aboard Paul, not sure if you have actually joined the GRA or just the forum, but if you are a full member you need ti contact Ian Thornton ( Ian on the forum) to get up graded. As for the bike, as you plan to ride predominantly on the road have you considered a road going Greeves? The 25DB or DC Sports Twin or the more basic 20 or 24 DB or DC Sports Single which would be much more comfortable and faster for road riding. The Scottish being a trials bike is very low geared with minimum saddle, also they dont normally come with lights, although a basic direct set (boby dodgers) can usually be fitted subject to the engine still having the lighting coils.

Comment

Hi Paul. Welcome.
        My Trifecta.
        1960 24TCS. 54 TED20. 77 S3 Daily.
        Attached Files

Comment

Morning all, thank you for the welcome, it’s very much appreciated, I have only joined the forum but am going to join the club definitely, I understand what you are saying ref road use, however I have had a hankering for a Scottish for many years and to be honest with you it won’t see the road too much but will be used on friends property (Exmoor ) I’m not on Facebook as I’m not very good with technology however my wife joined it for me last night so I will check over on there as well, whitehillbilly64 hi beautiful bike and fergie, I have a feeling we may have a common interest ( Land Rovers ) I’m sure I recognise your user name S2C? Cheers Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, I am near Crediton so not a million miles from you. If you want to look at some of my Greeves you are more than welcome. As said the Scottish in its standard form is not the best bike for the road, though small mileage is not an issue. The export version of the Scottish, the TFS Trail comes standard with lights, alloy barrel and better gearing. Have a good look at all the models before you make a decision, you never know you might change your mind.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum., Paul. Greeves made a heck of a lot of trials bikes and there are still plenty about. The later ones (1962 onwards) have a better and more robust frame design than the earlier ones, so it would be a good idea to look out for a 24TES or a 24TFS. Don't worry too much about the gearing, you can always alter it to suit your needs.

The Greeves riders Association is a friendly club with helpful and knowledgeable members, and if you're new to Greeves it would be worth your while to join us. Keep in touch, there's plenty of advice and guidance on here and most of it is helpful...

If you're planning to use the bike on the road it might pay you to look out for one that is road-registered. If you do buy one without a V5C we can still help you to get it re-registered it with an age-related number, no problem.

Do take up Tony's offer, he knows what he's talking about.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Tony and Colin Thank you very much Tony for your very kind offer it is very much appreciated, I’ve been having a look at all the different models and there is a very wide selection more than I had realised, I would definitely only be doing limited miles on the road however I would like the option for it to be road registered so that would be great if it was already, however if not it’s good to know that there is the option to get it road registered, I missed out on a beauty in car and classic that even had a letter from the Greeves fellowship however sadly I was beaten to it. I’m in no rush and when the right one comes along I will go for it. I’m definitely going to join the Greeves riders association and look forward to learning about them. Many thanks Paul

Comment

Hi, The good lady posted my application yesterday so it shouldn’t be to long before I’m a member I’ve seen a few more for sale but unfortunately either parts missing or not matching numbers or out of my budget . Cheers Paul

Comment

A bit more unsolicited advice, Paul. Avoid anything with a fibreglass fuel tank. Original Greeves tanks can't tolerate ethanol-laced petrol.

Also, if you do find an unregistered bike with a GRA authentication letter, bear in mind that DVLA will not accept it if it is more than one year old.
                    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 19/05/2021, 05:44 PM.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

One more bit of advice stay away from dealers, they will only rip you off with stupid prices, and if you have any problems they wont want to know, and tell you it was sold as an antique collectors item. Try to buy from a genuine private owner preferably a GRA member. Always go and look at the bike preferably with someone who knows Greeves, before handing over money, photos can tell 1000 lies!
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/05/2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

This is a good example of a bike you DO NOT want to buy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265150777...4AAOSwVsxglBbG

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post
                          Hi, The good lady posted my application yesterday so it shouldn’t be to long before I’m a member I’ve seen a few more for sale but unfortunately either parts missing or not matching numbers or out of my budget . Cheers Paul
                          I received it today thanks Paul, and I am just about to post your 'membership pack' to you!
                          Andy
                          Membership Secretary

Comment

Welcome to the GRA, Paul, thanks and well done.

Your pack will include a copy of our newsletter/magazine "Leading Link".

If you want to check if the numbers on a bike you're thinking of buying make sense just email me a photo of the frame number and I'll tell you what it is.

My email address can be found on the Club Officers page.

Colin
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi, Thank you all for the kind offers and advise it is very much appreciated, do GRA members only advertise on Facebook or is there a section on the forum that will open up to me once I’m a member, it’s such a shame I missed the beauty that was for sale in Whitby, the chap was a GRA member and it was a truly lovely bike that had been in his ownership for 16 years, however I’m positive another will come along and I will wait patiently for such machine. that’s great that you’ve received my forms and look forward to receiving my envelope, once again thank you all. Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X