Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Greeves

Dug...Australia
    First Greeves in the stable. 67 Challenger MX4. Bit of a home town history piece, bought from original owner , racer and bike shop proprietors estate. First off roader don't know anything about the marquee but wanted one. Launching into the learning curve and require bucket loads of info.....can anyone point me toward a manual ?

Hi Dug, and welcome to the "World of Greeves"! You'll find a wealth of info on here if you upgrade to full member of the GRA. As for a manual, Greeves Service Notes, document reference GMC 157 might be a good starting point.

Comment

Good Morning Dug,

I am also in Australia and have a few Greeves machines. I may have an MX4 manual. I will look today and let you know.

Cheers,

Ross Martin

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and info gents. Appreciate you response and offer Ross do you know of any good Australian clubs that would be useful? I'm keen to get my hands on a set of leading link forks also.
        Cheers
        Dug - Brisbane Aus.

Comment

Hi Dug, Send me a PM with your contact details.

Cheers, Ross

Comment

Good morning Dug,

I have the X Paul Andrews 24MX4, its a red 250cc and I love it.

My 24MX4 is all tuned for top end, more Bryan Wade and Paul Andrews than John Macleod, probably totally unsuitable for me as I'm a total novice (and it shows).

I'd never done any MX or proper scrambling stuff apart from 40 years ago around a field as a kid with my mates on a red Challenger MX2/3.

Last year I acquired the red MX4 and its been great fun racing (ok, I only did 1 and a half meetinjgs last October) in the Greeves championship and pre 65 in the UK but everyone has been really supportive and I love the bike.

I changed the shocks and it made a big difference, Geoff Nunn did the gearbox and Terry Sewell made a big difference to the Griffon clutch, now we're just waiting to get out there and race.

You'l find solutions to many issues on here (search on the forum under MX4) and theres a wealth of people who have restored and raced MX4s to help you (and even some in Australia).

Specific names that come to mind for help are Scott Chappel, Dave Higgins, Terry Sewell, Craig McCoo, (Geoff Nunn does many of our gearboxes).

Also if you visit facebook (nothing to do with the GRA) there's some great people with incredible knowledge on Greeves restoration in addition to the names above.

look on the Greeves Motorcycle Enthusiasts site, Greeves Restoration site and and Nicholson motors site (the latter is in the States where Kenny Sykes has the answers to most things and lots of spares). Key names on facebook in addition to the ones above are Dave Harper, Gary J Gwillam, Gary Bamford, Barry Patterson (in Sydney)) etc.

Greeves did the 250 (24MX4) and 360 (36MX4) in the MX4.

There are 3 great books on Greeves (amongst others) if you want to know some history and specifics of the bikes and great pics too.

The first is by Colin Sparrow, Greeves the complete story, the 2nd is Greeves All off road and road racing motorcycles by Rob Carrick and Mick Walker. The 3rd is A Wild Ride by Bryan 'Wild' Wade who was one of the Greeves championship winning riders, he was involved in developing the MX4.

Good luck.

Some pics of the books are enclosed below and one of me playing in the mud on the 24mx4 in Dorset earlier this year

J
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John macleod; 30/04/2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

John
              Many thanks for the reply. Mines a 36 in green (hopefully photo attached).Great to hear some back gound on yours and of course the contact information is very appreciated. I've got a track not far from home so hopefully will make my debut there soon, like yourself however I will be very much at the novice end of the spectrum.
              Regards Dug
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5271.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	81583
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Luckydug23; 12/05/2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Hi Dug,
                I ride my Greeves Scottish, at Trials events, in SE Qld, Northern NSW.

whitehillbilly
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Lovely bike Dug, Barry Baz Patterson in Manly Sydney is your local man on MX4s - He's an engineer who knows his MX4 onions ! Or ask on here as there's a wealth of invaluable knowledge.
                  Last edited by John macleod; 17/05/2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Whitehillbilly very nice bike..would like to get along to see some trials I'll keep an eye out when things have cleared.
                    Regards Dug

Comment

Thanks again for the advice John...as I said before being very much the novice I'm very keen to get contacts...especially local ones!. really missed my chance to get involved when I was in the UK just focused on cafs in those days.
                      Cheers Dug

Comment

Looks very original, may have high tensile bars and rims! Certainly a great project - I recently bought one myself in similar condition.

Comment

Working...
                        X