Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - Scottish - Devon

Hi All
    Big thanks to the team on Greeves stand last weekend at Classic Bike Show at Bath. Gave me a lead re ex Colin Ladd Scottish TDS which I brought from Chris May in Bristol.
    Picked it up Fri and spent last night in mancave thinking through what is required to fettle as been standing for 2 years. Looks to be all there and have spark and air so will drain fuel
    and change out oils before getting it up and running.
    Do you leave patina as is or do you restore? Moorland blue frame looks to have been in part redone so frame looking tired and in need of strip and sorting.
    Brought the Colin Sparrow book so some reading required ahead of tinkering.
    Regards Doug - Devon

It's your bike, you can do what you like with it, no-one can criticise you if you're putting it back into use. "Patina" is inevitable on an off-road competition bike - they have a hard life, so even if you restore it you'll soon gather some more if you trial or green-lane it. Greeves are relatively straightforward to restore and there's plenty of help and advice within the GRA and on here. A full restoration makes sense regardless of what you plan to use it for - obviously if you want to show it an as-new restoration makes sense, but equally competition preparation requires everything to be "just so", so you're heading in the same direction either way. Don't worry too much about patina - if you use it off-road some more will soon be acquired. Bear in mind also that it will be equally welcome on our show stands immaculate or well-used.

Thanks for buying the book. I hope you find it interesting, useful and a good read. Good luck with the TDS.

Colin
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

The growing trend these days is to leave vehicles in a used condition, and even show them like that, makes a change from rows of gleaming showroom condition bikes that are usually on display. Gives the public an insight as to how they would have been back in the day.

Comment

Hi Doug I live near Crediton so if you want to come over and chat about Greeves you are very welcome.

Comment

Hi All
          Added to my Greeves garage space with an EBAY advertised 1959 Hawkstone brought from Nailsea today. Has had a fair bit of fettling with new parts but now feeling a bit niave as not got a valid log book with it. So some investigation and evidencing with DVLC required...
          Have emailed Colin S for advice as I need to complete a V62 and evidence its a 1959 with frame number 59-1749 on..Looks like bike was a 250cc but now been retro fitted with 197cc engine.
          Last edited by Doug_Scottish; 29/02/2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Well done Doug! It looks like a good little bike, at a fair price. I am not so far away, in Cornwall, and in touch with Tony. It wouldn't have a logbook, being a scrambler, so never used on the road, but no reason why it couldn't be. It can be reverted back to a 250.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_Scottish View Post
              Hi All
              Added to my Greeves garage space with an EBAY advertised 1959 Hawkstone brought from Nailsea today. Has had a fair bit of fettling with new parts but now feeling a bit niave as not got a valid log book with it. So some investigation and evidencing with DVLC required...
              Have emailed Colin S for advice as I need to complete a V62 and evidence its a 1959 with frame number 59-1701 on..Looks like bike was a 250cc but now been retro fitted with 197cc engine.
              Doug. Can you confirm that the frame number is 59/1701 as the seller told me it was 59/1749. If it is 1701 it would have been the first one, which may or not make it a works bike On the matter of DVLA, scramble bikes were not normally road registered, although some have been known to have been registered.
              I note though on your other post that you have an old green logbook so is registration number showing on the DVLA data base? If not then you wont be able to use a V62 (Application for V5c) form. You will have to apply through Colin for an age related number, Colin will tell you what form is required, (a V55/5 I think)
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/02/2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Hi John
                Typo Hawkstone its frame 59/1749 … Have had a closer look this evening in the mancave and it appears to be fitted with a Villiers 10E engine and has an AMAL 389/95 carb stamped 11/65.

Has had the following new parts noting last owner (Leicester area) circa 1 year ago by sound of it.:
                Tank / Seat / mudguards / front wheel 21 inch rebuilt with new rim/ new Maxxis tyres / new chain and sprocket / rear shocks / front shocks rebuilt / frame been redone / new handlebars / levers / AMAL throttle / cables / electronic ignition / looks handmade exhaust which is a little louder than would like! Needs some fettling / finishing as no stand or kill switch.

Does run with some smoke on start up but soon runs clean..

Last owner did submit V62 but old log book looks like the 1 in 59-1749 was mistaken for 59-7749 so DVLA refused to issue log book? Awaiting feedback from Colin S and will resubmit V62.

Comment

Working...
                X