Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys

Hi everyone.
    I have just bought myself a Greeves. A Scottish 197 9e (20TA I believe)
    It belonged to my step father for as long as I remember. He stripped it for a rebuild about 30 odd years ago and it has sat in a box ever since.
    There will be questions, oh yes, there will be questions........like "Are the engine plates suppose to be gold colour?" and "What is the colour code for the blue"

Regards
    Craig

By heck, it cost me enough to buy the alloy to remake mine out of, never considered gold!!!!

Comment

Hi Craig, and welcome to the Club! You're in the right place for answers to all of your questions, especially if you upgrade to full Member of the GRA. You'll then have access to a veritable mine of information!
      Good luck with the build. Keep us all up-to-date with progress.
      John R

Comment

Ahhh....Moorland Blue. The definition of that alone will keep you busy for a long long time. When it comes down to it there is no paint code, it was mixed by Greeves and depending on the day there were some variations in the colour. You can try to find a piece of bike which hasn't seen sunlight since the day of its birth and get someone to match it, or you can, like me end up using RAL5001. Most people can't tell the difference.

Congratulations - I hope you're planning to ride it.

Comment

Will you be needing to get the bike registered with DVLA for road use? If it was dismantled 30-odd years ago it clearly won't have a V5C. Your starting point for obtaining an age-related number or recovering an original number (provided you have the necessary evidence documentation) would be to obtain an authentication document from the GRA, and I'm the first point of contact for that.

If you have no documents there is no point your contacting DVLA at this early stage.

We only provide authentications for complete machines, never for odd frames or piles of bits, and the bike has to be inspected by the club. So good luck with your rebuild and come back to me when it's done.

Lots of quality practical advice (and the odd piss-take!) on here. Definitely worth joining the GRA - the authentication service is cheaper for members and you also can see the whole forum.

As for your questions; you could also do worse than to obtain a copy of my book "Greeves the Complete Story" - obtainable from Amazon and all good booksellers.

But I would say that, wouldn't I folks?

Colin Sparrow, GRA Authentication Officer

colinsparrow@btinternet.com

Colin Sparrow

Comment

………. other authors are available ……………. eh, Colin?

Comment

Other smaller ego`s are available to!...................
              Last edited by dave higgins; 04/12/2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Just trying to be helpful to a newcomer...
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for the reply Colin.
                  I have the original log book and a modern V5 for the bike.
                  I have just got the bike from my parents garage and to my home in NL where I will be doing the rebuild.
                  I have started a facebook page to log the rebuild as I did with another bike a few years back. Click image for larger version

Name:	270716393_10158203606896831_114576542399226258_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	90585

Comment

Working...
                  X