Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from sunny Scotland!

Hi there,
    My name is Bill Young, from Kirkintilloch, north of Glasgow. I am the very proud owner of a 1962 Sports Single Roadster, 24DC123, which I believe was the second last 250 single roadster ever built.
    My Uncle purchased the bike new from Valenti's in Great Western Road,Glasgow in August '62 and when he retired in '74,I bought it from him, as I had coveted it since it's arrival at the age of 8.
    In early '76,I sold the bike as I was due to be married, money tight etc.. After about three years I started looking for the bike against no avail.Now let's fast forward to 2009. I was preparing my 1967 Triumph 2000 Mk1 for the Selkirk Show, and found I had no entry! My friend took me to the show, and I had time to look around as I didn't have a car to guard.( the car has now only covered 36000 miles, never painted, panelled or welded so I do look out for kids, handbags, ice creams etc.) On looking at the motorcycles,I spotted a very sorry looking Greeves, nacel painted red, battery box black, fuel tank rattle canned metallic blue, wrong front mudguard, wrong barrel (1/4" perspex spacer between barrel and casings and a de-compressor head .....I stood in front thinking what a mess, and my old bike never looked that bad.I walked on, and ,on looking back, noticed a very small, familiar dent in the tank.I jumped the rope barrier, it was my old bike! My legs went jelly like, and I frantically looked around until I found the keeper.Long story short,I brought it home the following Monday. Incidentally,I met two of my uncle's grandsons at the show, who brought up the subject of their Grandad's bike. As their father, my cousin was terminally ill(he died the following Tuesday) I new we would be meeting again sadly soon, and said I would bring the only polaroid I had of the bike when I owned it. A after discovering the bike,I found the boys again and told them of the find...They were able to visit my cousin before he passed and told him his Dad's bike had been found, and was coming home. To me this was Kharma, meant to be.
    Sorry if I have rambled on, but I think the tale is worthy of repeating.
    The Greeves is well on the way to full rebuild completion, engine,gearbox,wheels(paddle hubs)brakes, exhaust...the list goes on.The only part to repair/replace is the battery/toolbox.
    I hope you enjoy reading this, and apologies for rambling.
    Regards,
    Bill Young.

Nice story Bill, yes indeed your bike is the last but one 24DC. I have only 2 other 1962 survivors known 24DC101 (RPV690) was last known on eBay in Guidford 6/17
    Tony East has 24DC124 (WMN250 ex JSK868) in his ARE Museum collection on IoM
    The 24DC ceased production in 1962 where as the 20DC went on till 1966
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/05/2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Hi John, thanks for that information.The reg on my bike is...114GGD.I found it 100 miles from homeland it has been round Scotland before returning to me.....But that's another story!

Comment

Great story, all the best for the rebuild.

Comment

Thanks Brian,I may just need all the luck I can muster!

Comment

Thanks Bill I have duly added your bike to the list. The 24DC does not appear to have been a very popular model as I have only 5 survivors for 1961 61/2706 to 2740 (Greeves changed the numbering system in 1962 using model type prefix rather than the year)

Comment

Working...
            X