Greeves Owner (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Owner (again)

Hi everyone, I've just joined the GRA having acquired a Greeves Essex mk2 twin. I had been looking at getting a Greeves for a while but then saw this one which is the same model, year and colour as my first legal road bike back in 1975 so fell to temptation. It's up and running but just want to check it over then should be out on it. I am sure I will be calling on the services of the knowledgeable members of this forum to keep it up to scratch. I'm near the motorcycling mecca of Matlock Bath Derbyshire so if anyone is having a ride into the area message me and perhaps we can meet up, cheers.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Maybe your user-name should be "Midnight Owl"..?

Anyway, welcome to the GRA and congratulations on acquiring such a lovely bike. That paint combination is superb, isn't it?

Beware of putting fuel containing bioethanol into that tank though, it will destroy it.

Much enthusiastic help and advice available on here.

You might like to make a note of the annual Greeves Gathering and AGM on 7th April. Details in the "Events" section. Bring the bike, we'd love to see it.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Welcome Malc, there will also be a good Greeves presence at the Carole Nash show at the Bath & West which is now on the 23rd/24th Feb. There will be around 16 bikes on the stand and the usual members loitering.

Comment

Welcome aboard Malc, your bike will be this one recently advertised with Earnshaws Motorcycles https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...-essex-cae632c I note it now has an air filter and looks like the exhaust pipes have been polished. As Colin says beware of the problems with the petrol tank, dont waste money on tank sealer, it wont work in a tank that will have become impregnated with two stroke oil over the years. Best and cheapest solution is to drain the fuel out after each run, it will be OK for a days run out. Or you could look out for a 25DC steel tank which will fit the DD, and just keep the original for shows etc.
        You will find the 4T a bit of a b-----d for starting it will need a few hefty kicks to get it fired up from cold, and they can also be temperamental when hot. Just make sure timing and carburation is spot on and use standard two stroke oil at 25:1

Comment

Hi, yes the bike was from Earnshaws although I didn't pay quite that price. I've put on the air filter. The inside of the pipes are still a bit rough so perhaps the photo makes it look better. You are right about the starting when I went to see it none of us could start it!. Anyway I've got the technique now and it's usually 2/3 kicks. Would a higher grade fuel be okay to leave in ( did I read that Esso super doesn't have ethanol? ). The bike does have a GRA sticker on the back mudguard so I was expecting someone to shout up that they were the previous owner.

Comment

Hi Malc
            I have tried higher grade fuel (Shell Super Unleaded) in my East Coaster (same 4T engine) and it makes little difference. The problem is in the engine design, centre seal is a labyrinth seal (piston type ring in a groove) which does not completely seal like a rubber lip seal. The engine was designed originally for the Bond Minicar with a Siba Dynastart which turned the engine over quicker than a kick starter and also the 12v ignition helped with a fatter spark. Once running it should go well, quite brisk acceleration, and a top speed of about 70mph (probably 80 on the speedo!)
            Expect around 65 to 70 mpg. If you got it for under the asking price it was not a bad deal, especially from a dealer.

Comment

Hi John, thanks for the advice. Just a couple more queries for now, the silencers blow/drip oily water on starting and afterwards in the garage. I assume this is because it is has not been run for a prolonged period so is condensation and will improve with a good run. Do people still decoke exhausts/silencers using caustic soda?. Also the tail light has twin bulbs ( separate light and brake) both are 5w. Does your East Coaster have a similar set up and should the brake light be higher wattage? Thanks , Malc

Comment

Originally posted by Malc Spencer View Post
                Hi John, thanks for the advice. Just a couple more queries for now, the silencers blow/drip oily water on starting and afterwards in the garage. I assume this is because it is has not been run for a prolonged period so is condensation and will improve with a good run. Do people still decoke exhausts/silencers using caustic soda?. Also the tail light has twin bulbs ( separate light and brake) both are 5w. Does your East Coaster have a similar set up and should the brake light be higher wattage? Thanks , Malc
                Exhaust will drip black un burnt oil thats normal as the 4T is an oily engine you wont get a dry exhaust. the condensation should dry out with a good run, exhausts dont normally need decoke these days but if yours have detachable baffles you can draw them out and de coke them. BUT if your silencers are originals they will have fixed baffles except for the small tailpipe. which is removable
                As for rear light, mine has a dual filament bulb 5w/21w yours should have one 5w and the other 21 watt, 5 watt is not bright enough for stop light. If you want a chat give me a ring on 01223 843802.

Comment

Hi Malc. Pretty bike you have got yourself there, and at a fair price too! With regard to the bio-ethanol solvent which is added to our fuel these days, you are right. At the last check Esso Supreme Synergy +97 RON super unleaded in most, but not all, parts of the country, still does not contain ethanol. Where you are it should be ok, it is mostly the West Country, Scotland, and Teeside where it has ethanol added, for some reason. If it is labelled EN228 on the pump then it contains ethanol, apparently. The pumps are not always marked in a helpful manner, however. The octane rating will probably give you no added benefit, but it is better quality fuel than basic 95 RON with 5%; soon to be 10%, ethanol content. Just keep an eye on the inside of your tank.
                  Ian

Comment

Hi Ian, thanks for that. By chance the nearest garage to me is an Esso so I will what labelling the synergy +97 pump as on it. I think the bike is nice looking and seems in good unmolested condition . Regarding the price it's very difficult to pin down what is reasonable as often it comes down to how much you want something and what it's worth to you. I was happy with it (included delivery) and certainly I haven't seen many Essex twins come up for sale. Looking forward to getting out on it and hopefully getting to some GRA meets

Comment

That sounds useful Malc! Living in Cornwall, a supply of ethanol-free fuel at my local garage is something I can only dream of! There is no ethanol-free fuel available in Cornwall, or Devon for that matter. Whenever I travel 'up country' in the car I take some jerry cans with me and stock up with Esso Synergy 97, to fuel my classics for a while when I get back. So far, it still seems to be ethanol free. I can even leave it in the tanks on little used bikes over winter, at the end of which it still smells fresh, and works fine, which ethanol-laced fuel would not do. Thus, I am sure the Esso s/unleaded is still ok.

Ian

Comment

Talking of ethanol-free fuel, my local Shell garage's Vpower is still ethanol-free. I always test for ethanol and have not found any so far! It also is 4 star, 99 octane so is up a bit on Esso.

Comment

Rob, that's interesting I hadn't heard about Shell Vpower being ethanol free. Just out of curiosity how do you test for ethanol?

Comment

Comment

Cheers John, I couldn't remember wether I had purchased Esso 97+ ( alleged ethanol free ) last time I filled the jerry can! ( it's an age thing) may have a go at checking later

Comment

Working...
                              X