New member - Greeves Silverstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - Greeves Silverstone

Hi all - just joined and my specific interest are the Silverstone racers as I like the iconic looks of these and to be honest, quite fancy one for parading and maybe the occasional race at CRMC meetings. Where is the best place to go to start finding out more please?

I used to race 250cc karts and among the Montesa and Bultaco karts we'd get the very occasional Greeves engine which always looked great with the big square finned cylinder. I still have a 250cc kart but it's all water-cooled now, mine being a Honda CR 250. But back to the Silverstone - are these allowed to do the parade lap at the Classic TT?

Hi all , I have RCS silverstone the swinging arm appears to have been extended by 50mm it’s total length at moment is 530mm, could someone please confirm or otherwise. Thank g you in advance. Terry736310

Comment

Standard on mine is 480mm, so you are right about the 50mm extension. Dogsbody

Comment

Going back to the original post by 1340fxd; that is a funny name, btw; do have a real one we can call you by? I guess you are a Harley man. Anyway, your original post seems to have been overlooked. I don't have a Silverstone, but for information, you have come to the right place. There is a racer section on the forum which is worth keeping an eye on, as well as a sale and wanted section. Also the section on engines may help build up your knowledge. There are 2 very good Greeves books which are well worth investing in, for machine-specific information, marque history etc. One is Colin Sparrow's 'Greeves, the Complete Story' ; a fiver to the the usual address Colin thank you! The earlier book is simply entitled 'Greeves', by Rob Carrick & Mick Walker. Both are excellent publications which are essential reading for those with an interest in the marque.

I wish you well in your search for a Silverstone. They do come up occasionally, however the asking prices appear to be rising sharply.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Ian

Comment

I might be persuaded to part with an RDS Silverstone, pm me with contact telephone no. Dogsbody

Comment

Thanks Ian, very helpful and yes it's Rene. You guessed, I do have a 1340 FXD plus some old Kawasakis. In my karting days I also raced Villiers 210 where I would tune my engine myself - I'm thinking the Greeves 250 unit would probably be similar to strip and tune?

Comment

Hi Rene. Yes, you are on the right lines with your old Villiers kart engine. Similarly tuned engines have been used in Silverstones, or Silverstone clones, with some success I believe. As you worked on it yourself, you may be be familiar with the book 'Vlliers Singles Improvements Handbook', also written by Rob Carrick, along with John Wood. Essential reading for Villiers tuners. Do talk to Dogsbody, he is yer man where Silverstones are concerned.

Ian

Comment

Yes Silverstone engines have been used in other frames etc, I have a Hagon Grass track bike that was fitted with a Silverstone engine and on purchasing from a chap in Scotland who told me that it had been rebuilt, and that was true, but after trying to start it at Battlesbridge a few years ago we found it impossible to bump start, in turned out it had a compression ratio of 14-1 ???? and was built to run on Methanol, our Chairman Captain Mainwaring, then reduced it down to approx 10-1 and it now runs ok. strange what things take place over time

Comment

Hi Rene, I am aware of a Greeves Silverstone (replica) that would be perfect for parading, the machine is known to the association and has been shown at various show events on a number of occasions over the years. I have plenty of detailed photos available so let me know if you're interested and I'll send some over.

Comment

Working...
                  X