new member in Cape Town SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member in Cape Town SA

Hi there, my name is Alasdair Mc Arthur and have just purchased a Greeves Pathfinder with 175cc Puch motor.
    Could anyone help with the following info.
    quietening the exhaust, I believe Comfords had a modification that thay sold, dose anyone no what they did to the exhaust,
    the power of the motor comes in higher up the rev range and wondered if there is something one can do to bring this down so it is better for trials work.
    my last request is for Greeves pathfinder tank transfers, is this something the club has or must they be acquired elsewhere.
    Thanks to all who can help in this project.
    will try and post some pictures.
    Attached Files

Hi Alasdair
    Welcome aboard. Strange that your Pathfinder is noisy, with the original exhaust they were extremely quite compared with other trials bikes. Looks like your back box (stinger) section has been modified, so looks like you need to obtain a new one or possibly open yours up & re pack it. The original one had a small outlet hole with no tail pipe.
    As for modifying engine characteristic to make it more suitable for trials. This is an age old problem to which there is no easy answer. The engine was never designed for trials use, having been designed by Puch for enduro, scrambles & road use. Greeves did supply a heavier flywheel on later models, but this had little effect.
    You could consider changing the engine for one out of a TY 175 Yamaha trials bike. Sadly the Pathfinder was not one of Greeves better bikes. As for tank stickers I dont think the club do them, but someone may know a source.
    Best of luck with it.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/04/2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I think various people have changed the characteristics of the Puch engine to make them more suitable, so maybe one will pop up with some suggestions. I tamed my rather rapid OSSA with a thicker top cylinder ring to lower the compression a tad. That did take a sharp power step out of the performance without damaging the general performance.

Comment

Working...
      X