Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griffon riders Association etc etc etc

Welcome Eddie,
    You have come to the right place for good advice and good honest people.
    I am a Griffon nut second but a classic bike nut first. Hope you get as much joy out of the GRA membership as I have.
    Craig

Comment

Hi, any further updates on this system?, as I have tried having source coil rewound and fitting Ht coil under tank new points and condenser, good earth engine to frame, flywheel remagnetised, but still getting weak spark at plug ?, runs fine if powered with Dc battery and Ht coil setup!, any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks, Bert...

Comment

Might need to get the flywheel remagetised, Villiers services do this

Comment

Originally posted by teamferret View Post
          Might need to get the flywheel remagetised, Villiers services do this
          He has already had flywheel re magnetised! Looks like their may be a miss match with the LT and HT coils

Comment

Hi John, mismatched as in?, anybody got any idea of resist reading in source coil ?, really want to get this sorted with flywheel mag and std points plus external Ht coil setup becoming extremely irritating !!, Lol

Comment

Hi Bert. I had a reliable ignition system which was very similar to what you have described on my Hawkstone for several racing seasons. I found it critical to fit the LT coil at the 9 o'clock position, and to earth back the HT coil by a wire directly to the engine (i.e. not via a frame mount), if that helps?

Good luck, and hope you get sorted.

John R.

Comment

By matching I mean the LT coil must generate sufficient voltage to the HT coil for it to give a good spark, is the Honda coil off a 6 or 12 volt system? The Villiers is 6 volt. The other issue is that the points must open at the max flux of magnets to get a good spark, this is not important with a battery coil system as the current is constant. A flywheel mag generates it own current. The ignition cam has an effect with its dwell angle (the time points are closed) So the cam needs to be the correct one for the engine and fitted the right way round. The Villers ones usually have an arrow on one end to show the rotation direction.

Comment

Hi John, yes 6v ht coil have tried several including new one with condenser attached points cam is correct for motor 37a fitted correctly several times over, new points fitted and rechecked over source coil rewound and refitted in same position ie 3 o'clock position getting spark but not quite strong enough !, motor rebuilt new bore and piston crank recon new seals, new carb Aok, as I say motor starts first go and runs perfectly with Battery and dc ht coil fitted and ac dynamo appears to be out putting 14v Ac at source coil connection!, kinda stumped at this stage! , reset ing timing with dial gauge 4.3mm btdc think all set correctly??.
                  Last edited by rpm- bert; 27/11/2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Looks like there could be a miss match between coils and the magnets at the point of spark. Have you tried retarding and advancing the timing to see if this improves the spark? If it does I am not sure how you can correct this as the flywheel is keyed to the crank shaft. O the joys of these old two strokes.

Comment

Oh Indeed!, thanks for you comments , cheers, Bert.. I'll
                      keep you informed!,
                      Last edited by rpm- bert; 27/11/2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Have you tried it with LT coil at 9 o'clock position, Bert?

Comment

Hi John, no have not tried this as there are lighting coils fitted in these other positions and the bike used to run with lt coil in 3 o'clock 'stock' position , as I say have got a spark at plug but just a little weak as in won't jump a few mm to earth actually seems like it's split at electrode !, very strange condition, have tried different Ht coils earthed to cyl HD directly, even tried picking up off lighting coils, somewhat baffled at this stage, such a simple basic layout, missing something here ???., Lol.. Was considering doing a "John Cleese" on it and administering a damn good thrashing!!.

Comment

My Scottish TCS Is running Std ignition coil, condenser and points set up, in original positions. Ignition lead soldered to the coil.
                            Had it rewound by Hi Output Coils, Vic, Australia, over 20 years ago.
                            The TCS was road registered for many years, now back to STD Trails set up, and used in local trials.
                            I have never had any issues. even if the bike sat for 6 months, would start 1st or 2nd kick.
                            I did add a bracket under tank to take a After market remote coil and condenser, but never had to.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Working...
                            X