What exhaust do you use for trials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exhaust do you use for trials?

Apologies if this should be posted in trials? My Scottish has a hi level pipe which connects to a reverse cone mega, hardly ideal and because of the way it’s mounted it always separates when I’m riding. What do others use? What’s available?

You need one of these from Armours, a copy of the original https://armourmotorproducts.co.uk/gr...long-swing-arm

Comment

Thanks John I had seen those, I did wonder about the later ones that are far shorter and are on the left hand side. Are they available? Can’t seem to find them, do they fit the earlier bikes?

Comment

The Armours one is correct for your 1959 bike shorter ones are later models.

Comment

I had mine made by a Cornish Local.
          He was probably one of the best alloy welders around at the time, retired but done a lot of work for truck /tractor companies who need repairs.
          It was basically a straight through system, with a single perforated baffle between inlet and outlet, filled with exhaust packing, which can be replace as the back section is removable.
          I was amazed how small his engineering workshop was behind his house, and how many machines and tooling was in it.
          I added an aftermarket stinger pipe to it as a bit noisy for today's modern Trials.

whitehillbilly
          Attached Files

Comment

Quite a few years now, but I had an expansion box exhaust system custom made to fit my TDS by Andy Bacon (ABCOM) in Hucknall. He had previously made some to fit Greeves Silverstones. I left the bike with him so he could achieve the best fit. He modelled it on photos in the Greeves book and conversations with Fahron Engineering. I have no idea if he is still doing this type of work.
            John Gresty

Comment

I’ve got someone who is making some one of pipes for my tz/Lc he can do the same for the Greeves but it won’t be cheap, and as this is for low/mid range power having a one off handmade pipe seems like an extravagance

Comment

Veg. I dont really understand why you do not fit the original type silencer to your bike, from a previous pic you posted it appears you have the correct front pipe and so will only need the silencer from Armours. These original silencers were a distinctive feature of the 'Scottish from 1958 untill 1961 and were modified Villiers units. They are well matched to the engine and are quite compared with the later short box type ones fitted to the TES. Ok the were a bit on the heavy side but I dont expect you are going to ride the bike seriously in trials, but for a bit of gentle green lane and road use the Villiers type silencers are ideal and with no more noise that a road bike & socially acceptable. Armours make a good product and reasonably priced at ?140. You could easily spend much more that that having a bespoke one made.

Comment

John I don’t disagree however I do like to explore all
                  options before purchasing and I wondered what else was available?

Comment

I've seen these fitted to a couple of greeves near me. With them having steel end caps it's easy to modify. Unless you go all in I know someone who will make a full system for you
                    Bultaco Alloy Mid Box Exhaust Silencer - Sherpa T Models. Removable riveted end cap to enable repacking. Bracket and stud. Quiet exhaust note and increased bottom end throttle response. In association with Sammy Miller and DEP Pipes

Comment

Working...
                    X